• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Great Experience!

Website
www.beyondbark.com
I had a very cool experience that I thought others might like to hear. I watched Curt Theobald Segmented Patterns video and in it he uses some kind of wipe on finish. Since the video was not about finishing you only got a quick flash of him even doing it. So I decide to go to his web site and send him an e-mail message to see if he was willing to tell me what he used. I honestly never intended to hear from him since i have had some bad luck getting information from peoples websites. Well . . to my utter amazement, instead of e-mailing me back, he actually called me on the phone from WY and gave me step-by-step instructions and tips on how he finishes his pieces. I though this was the coolest thing.

below is his site:

http://www.curttheobald.com/index.htm

Here is a quick summary of the technique he told me.

• Min Wax wipe-on polyurethane
• Warm poly in sunny window or near shop heater to make it thinner
• Apply one coat of poly on the lathe.
o Spin for 10-15 min to ensure even coat.
o Let stand for one day
• Sand with 1200 grit auto sandpaper
• Repeat process for 4 coats
o Let finished piece stand for 3 days
• Use old cutup blue jeans to polish after three days.
o Lower speed to ensure no brandishing
o Jeans have different buffing ability on the inside and the out side.

Min Wax will not work on oily woods like cocobolo. Alternately, use Water Lox and the same process.

Warning – wet Water Lox rags can spontaneously combust. Be sure to hang wet rags in a well ventilated area until dry.

Also here is a picture of one of my pieces i tested this technique on. This is a Black Walnut Vase that is about 4" tall and 4" round at the top.

Attachments

• BlackWalnutVase.jpg
    BlackWalnutVase.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 297
That sure is a wonderful story. Seems there are many in the turning community just like yours. If you are interested enough to ask, most often you will receive a reply.

Richard Raffan sent me detailed pictures once explaining something I was having trouble understanding. It was a wonderful surprise that he would take the time to do such a thing for someone he had not had any correspondence with before. I was a fan before and now I have an even higher opinion not just of the turner but of the person he is.

BTW: The finish looks great!

Back