• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Great Turning Exhibit

Website
www.mainebowls.com
If you live anywhere near Mid-Coast Maine, or plan to visit there before Nov. 22, be sure to visit the Messler Gallery at the Center for Furniture Craftsmanship in the coastal town of Rockport, Maine. It is currently featuring an exhibit of 30 turnings that shows the evolution of woodturning over the past few decades from the pioneers like Osolnik, Lindquist, and Moulthrop to contemporaries like Ellsworth, Stirt and Scarpino.

Here's a link to photos of the exhibit pieces: http://www.woodschool.org/gallery/farfromthetree/index.html

I had an opportunity yesterday to see this compilation of exceptional turners' work. Hope many of you can also get to see it when it heads to other locations. I was told the next exhibit is at AAW's gallery.

Jack

thanks for the post

A lot of great work, but I was really surprised by the pricing. Clearly all the pieces (except maybe one) were the work of talented artists / turners. But when presented side by side in pictures I was unable to explain why some pieces were orders of magnitude more expensive. Some of the pieces seem priced low compared to their peers in the exhibit. Some of them just left me shaking my head. Maybe when you see them in real life the differences become much more apparent. Sadly, Maine is a little far to go.

Ed

Back