• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Grinder height?

Hello all,
I'm just getting in to turning, and my bench grinder / sharpening station needs some serious rehab. Right now it's a 6" grinder on a B&D Workmate... It's way too low for long term use, and the workmate is nearing the end of days, so it's time for a new base.

The big question: where do you like your grinder wheel to fall in relation to your body? Too low (also a current problem) and I'll end up hunching over. Too high brings safety and usability issues to mind. What's the happy medium?

I've found a few posts that mention having it up "high" (whatever that really means), but there's very little information other than that.

For the time being I'm using an improvised jig for sharpening my roughing gouge, but that's as far as it goes. I'm looking at the PSI and Wolverine jigs, but haven't decided if it's worth the money yet. (To clarify, I know they're worth the money if you turn a lot, I just don't know if that's going to be me...)

Are there any other features I should build into this thing? I'll have a drawer or two for misc. storage, and probably some shelves below that. A few light mounting holes are also in the plan. Beyond that? Anything goes if it'll help!

Thanks!
Jay

While I'm asking grinder questions, what do you folks do for grinder dust collection? I was thinking about a small, dedicated shop-vac hooked to a DIY shroud that fastens to the factory guard. Thoughts?

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
John pretty much nailed it. It's more comfortable sharpening at the same height as your lathe because that's how you use the gouge. It's also closer to your eyes so you can see the grind better.
I rigged up a shop vac to my grinder for a short while but it got in the way so I removed it. I know the dust is hazardous but I have never seen anyone else have a dust collector on their grinder and I didn't worry about it for many many years. Now I have a CBN wheel and the only dust it produces is metal shavings and they fall striaght down.

I don't have a DC on my grinder as it is "portable." I bolt it to my workbench when needed. I would be concerned about sparks getting in the DC and causing a fire.

Elbow height it'll be. Thanks!

I would be concerned about sparks getting in the DC and causing a fire.

My concern as well, which is why I was thinking a dedicated shop vac would be the way to go; no trash or other debris to catch fire. I've no idea if it'll work or not; I just want to think it through. I'll have to do a little research on grinder dust collection and see what's available.

Grinders should be at the same height as your lathe. It is just much more comfortable for sharpening. This is especially true if you free hand or platform grind and don't use jigs. The motions you use when free hand sharpening are the same you use when turning. ABC (I think this came first from Bonnie Klein) Anchor the tool on the tool rest. Rub the Bevel. Cut.

If you are going to have a dust collector on your grinder, it needs to be a specialized one that is fire proof. Sucking sparks down into a vacuum/high air flow area is not a good idea. Not as dangerous as sucking a lit cigarette butt into your dust collector though (this really did happen to some one). You can set up a hose a ways back, and maybe have a hood so the sparks will be totally out before they go inside. Or, like so many are doing now days get the CBN wheels. Safer and better in every single way you can think of.

robo hippy

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Grinder height depends on how you sharpen and your own preferences.

Most people using jigs will want it around elbow height because It gives a comfortable control of the handle swing.

Many people who free will find eye level or shoulder height preferable because they can see the bevel contact.

Use a height that:
is comfortable,
allows you to stand up straight
Let's you see to do the job

:D
Grinder height depends on how you sharpen and your own preferences.

Most people using jigs will want it around elbow height because It gives a comfortable control of the handle swing.

Many people who free will find eye level or shoulder height preferable because they can see the bevel contact.

Use a height that:
is comfortable,
allows you to stand up straight
Let's you see to do the job

I'm definitely a jig sharpener. I took a look at the PSI system today, and am headed out to Woodcraft for a look at the Wolverine setup. The PSI version was OK, and would probably be fine for my needs, but I'm betting I take the Wolverine home with me...

I'm going to get things measured out this evening and then spend a little time tomorrow sketching out the new platform.

Thanks everyone!
Jay

Talk about a self-fulfilling prophecy...

:D

I bought the basic Wolverine system and plan to head back next week to pick up the vari-grind. I thought the PSI version was ok, but I felt the Wolverine was well beyond OK, and that's something I like in certain tools. I also liked the cam-lock system instead of the screw-down option offered by the PSI. The platform adjustment and the vari-grind were also a little more substantial, and seemed like they'd lock down better. In the end, the PSI would have done everything I needed it to do, but the Wolverine will do it the way I want it done.

I've set up a temporary mount and have raised the grinder to the height suggested. So far it seems like that will work well for me, ad it's also a decent height for grinding plane blades and bench chisels.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Now I need to practice my grinding skills and buy a couple of decent tools...

Back