• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Grizzly G0733 18" x 47" Heavy-Duty Wood Lathe vs Laguna Revo 1836

Hello,
I've been doing some research in regards to upgrading from my harbor freight 12" lathe to a bigger heavier lathe and I see a lot of the same features on the 2 lathes in the title.
The G0733 runs about $600 less than the Laguna, is the Laguna the better quality of the 2, or what drives the price difference?

That Grizzly is a much tested design. Laguna is good quality but most likely not worth the extra. Laguna had a model exactly like the G0733 for a long time. I had one and it was a good lathe

Hello,
I've been doing some research in regards to upgrading from my harbor freight 12" lathe to a bigger heavier lathe and I see a lot of the same features on the 2 lathes in the title.
The G0733 runs about $600 less than the Laguna, is the Laguna the better quality of the 2, or what drives the price difference?
I can't speak to the Grizzly other than they have been making fine equipment for woodworking and metalworking for decades. I see nothing wrong with their equipment. I do have the Laguna REVO 18 x 36 and it is a wonderful and quiet machine. Indexing is included and the motor setup is strong, the tapered headstock helps when working close to the chuck or drive center. Weight is good as I turn at its size limits consistently and see no unexpected vibration. Their phone and on-line support before and after the sale is awesome! And, they just moved to Texas not 20 miles from me! Can't do better than made in Texas!

I would recommend looking at the Grizzly G0766, designed ~ 5 yrs ago. Vs the the 0733 more swing and some detail advantages, and the motor/vfd is a much newer generation.

No direct experience, but I have read through a hi # of Laguna motor/vfd issues that makes me wary of them. They make a good looking product.

Either of those machines would be a substantial upgrade from a Harbor Freight lathe. The cons for them, based on experiences expressed here on the forum, would be:
Grizzly--A) they look like other, more expensive lathes, but the unseen parts and quality of workmanship may not be on the same level
B) Grizzly has tended to change models and not provide support for discontinued models later on
C) Their customer support is probably not equal to that from more expensive brands
Laguna--this one is harder. They have sold a ton of lathes over the last few years, so the installed base is large. Historically, they were criticized for not providing high level support, but more recent reports suggest this may be a thing of the past.

Other than Harbor Freight, General or Shop Fox, most lathes sold in the US, would be considered good quality and likely to serve you well. There are passionate advocates for almost all the brands (and this post may bring them out) and a majority of woodturners like whatever lathe they have, other than those 3. That being said, most people would consider a Powermatic, Vicmarc, Oneway, or Robust lathe to be a 'last one you'll buy' purchase.

And the label says Laguna lathes are made in Taiwan, though the company headquarters may be moving to Texas. If buying American is important to you, save your pennies for a Robust.

@Milton Hochstetler I stuck with the brands you asked about in my previous post.

I started with the same HF lathe, and upgraded to a Nova Galaxi in 2018. I really liked the ergonomic advantages of the pivoting HS of the HF, and was the reason I chose the Galaxi. You will read a lot of negative comments in general about pivoting HS - most based on lathes similar to the HF - I have had no issues with the Galaxi. I have turned all kinds of large bowls, platters, hollow forms - Nova’s system just works. The direct drive motor has plenty of low speed torque, and no belt to change, and the speed presets work great. If a 16” swing is big enough, take a long look. I dont like the 18” Orion because Nova still does not have an outrigger tool rest for it. The one for the Galaxi works very well.

When you get into that price range (>$2,000), I'm not familiar with any bad lathes. You just pick the features, warranty and brand that you like. All of them will spin wood.

With the Grizzly lathes, you get more features for the money but they only come with a 1 year warranty. It's all about figuring out what features/warranty you are willing to pay for.

Back