• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Grub holes

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
It depends - how many, how big, inside or outside, etc. You say small so unless they detract from the utility of the piece for food use then I almost never fill them and even then just on the inside. For filling holes in pieces I use JB Weld two part epoxy. Not the syringe thing, from the bottles. Sometimes clear, sometimes with mica powder colors or sawdust from the piece. It's an eye of the beholder thing but a decorative piece with bug holes not filled is much more appealing to me (and sells better) then one full of epoxy fill. For things like bug holes my motto is 1) accept it as character, 2) hide it (and it better be hidden well), or 3) accentuate it.

I've been working with spaulted pecan with live grubs in it, after it dries what is the best epoxy to use for small holes, if someone could help I would appreciate it thank you
I love the worm holes in pecan or anything else! I would leave them. I blow out worm holes, pick out the frass with a pick, even soaked pieces to loosen up the frass.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
Don, I've only tried Milliput epoxy putty a few times. Worked OK but very limited colors and hard to mix other coloring with it well. Are there others you've used? Like you said, the attraction is that it stays in place while working with it. You can also work and smooth with damp tools and sands well.

If the holes have frass in them, I chase that with thin CA glue. Other than that, I leave the holes alone. Had one that my daughter said would be nice for putting outside for halloween....

robo hippy

Epoxy putty works good and will stay in place at any position.
I fill cracks and voids occasionally by mixing 5 min epoxy glue with used dried coffee grounds. I grind them with a mortar and pestle and keep a small jar handy.
I use just enough epoxy to hold it together and after a couple minutes it becomes a putty. Tamp it in the void and clean off excess with alcohol.

I leave the coffee/epoxy a bit proud of the surface and sand when dry. It looks like a bark inclusion and is not glossy like using CA will do. You can play with the color by adding fine sawdust to the fine coffee dust to lighten it up.

I have a few times filled worm holes, using both Coffee ground and or powdered copper or other metal, but usually leave them as is, worm holes do attract attention and people usually love it.

Here is one that I filled with copper, these were carpenter entrance holes and tunnels in a curly Red Oak log, filled with powdered copper in the holes and also some in the open grain.
powdered copper fill.jpg
This Maple log had two different types of worms, making small and larger holes on opposite sides of the log.
2 types of worms in this wood.jpg
This is one where I was almost too late with turning the wood, also difficult to get a good surface and finish.
Worm eaten Maple.jpg

Hop-horn-beam aka Ironwood with worm holes and left like that.
Hophorn wood with worm holes.jpg

Don, I've only tried Milliput epoxy putty a few times. Worked OK but very limited colors and hard to mix other coloring with it well. Are there others you've used? Like you said, the attraction is that it stays in place while working with it. You can also work and smooth with damp tools and sands well.
I have never tried to color it and I don't know of any brand that comes in colors. When I use it to fill large voids after it is set I up I sand or cut it flush with the surrounding wood then I under cut with a Dremel tool about 1/16" deep and fill with powered mineral usually turquoise and thin CA. The 4 mesquite burl bowls were all done that way including the second from the left where the weird edge that was caused by how the blank was cut and there was no wood on that corner.
B5185_88.JPG

Back