• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Guy Scronce

I got started in woodturning when I inherited my great grandfather's lathe about 4 years ago. To be honest I think my aunt just wanted the lathe out of her basement, but I am very grateful she asked me to take it(see the photo below, it is a monster with a 7 foot bed sitting on logs). I was fortunate that my father in law and his neighbor have mentored me and helped me out greatly as I learn. I have also found my local aaw chapter, the NC Woodturners is a great resource for inspiration and education.

I have added a rikon midi, a handmade treadle lathe, and an original us made 3520 to my garage since I got hooked.
I have two small children and a full time job, so my turning time is limited. My interests are mainly bowls and live edge forms, but I am easily distracted and enjoy trying new things.

Lathe.jpg treadle lathe.jpg DSC_0628 (2).JPG

Hello Guy, welcome to the forum :) I was in NC this past weekend attending Ellsworth class in Asheville. Beautiful place!
Thanks Fadi, I am just about an hour and a half east from Asheville. It is a beautiful place I hope you got a chance to explore the area in addition to the class. I hope to make one of his classes one day. I've heard his new studio is really nice.

Welcome aboard. Love the treadle lathe . Where did you get the plan?
Thanks. It is loosely based on Bob Easton’s lathe. I made a wheel and had a few of the metal parts and built everything around that kind of foolishly without an actual plan. I did put a grizzly spindle on it based on someone else’s design (I can’t remember who gave me that idea but it gives me the mt and 1 by 8 threads) as well as a couple other changes. At this point, I’ve probably spent more time fixing, and improving it than I did making it, but it is a fun machine.

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the introduction and the photos. I used to live in central NC and had NC and SC as a sales territory in the early 70s. Sent some time in Asheville a couple of years ago. Great tourist town! Lots to see and do. Went by a woodturning studio but it was closed.

Back