• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Gwen Himbury

Good morning! Thank you for adding me to this forum! I'm excited to learn from everyone about woodturning! I live in Fort Worth Texas, self taught in woodturning using a mini lathe from Harbor Freight and currently looking into upgrading to a full size lathe. I work full time but also working toward starting a business on the side with my turnings and other areas of creating things with wood. I grew up with my father and grandfather doing wood working and a mother who is an artist, so I try to bring the two mediums together to create something unique. Still learning but improving as I go. I absolutely love woodturning and consider it my therapy! I not only do traditional styles, I've recently started my hand in segmented and basket illusion which I have found to really enhance the piece. I also carve and do pyrography on my turns, mainly experimenting as I go. The wood will tell me what to do. I really look forward to learning more and share my finished pieces. Here are just a few... Thank you again!

Attachments

• IMG_0064.JPG
    IMG_0064.JPG
    907.1 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0099.JPG
    IMG_0099.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0114.JPG
    IMG_0114.JPG
    460.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0166.JPG
    IMG_0166.JPG
    312.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_1344.JPG
    IMG_1344.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 33

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Gwen, if you haven’t visited the Woodturners of North Texas, we meet on the last Thursday of every month at 6:30 PM. The location is the Handley-Meadowbrook Lions Club, 6013 Craig Street, Fort Worth. That’s just a short drive from NRH. Here is the newsletter for March. The April newsletter isn’t available yet.

Gwen, if you haven’t visited the Woodturners of North Texas, we meet on the last Thursday of every month at 6:30 PM. The location is the Handley-Meadowbrook Lions Club, 6013 Craig Street, Fort Worth. That’s just a short drive from NRH. Here is the newsletter for March. The April newsletter isn’t available yet.
Awesome! Thank you Bill! I would love to go and check it out, meet people in this area who woodturn! You guys can teach me A LOT! And that location is not far from me at all! Thank you!

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Some outstanding basket illusions, Gwen. :)

When you visit with Bill Boehme at the NT woodturners, be sure to check out his basket illusions......you two could probably do some brain storming together!

-----odie-----

Some outstanding basket illusions, Gwen. :)

When you visit with Bill Boehme at the NT woodturners, be sure to check out his basket illusions......you two could probably do some brain storming together!

-----odie-----
Thank you Odie! I will definitely check them out and l learn techniques! I'm planning on attending the april meeting for sure!

Good morning! Thank you for adding me to this forum! I'm excited to learn from everyone about woodturning! I live in Fort Worth Texas, self taught in woodturning using a mini lathe from Harbor Freight and currently looking into upgrading to a full size lathe. I work full time but also working toward starting a business on the side with my turnings and other areas of creating things with wood. I grew up with my father and grandfather doing wood working and a mother who is an artist, so I try to bring the two mediums together to create something unique. Still learning but improving as I go. I absolutely love woodturning and consider it my therapy! I not only do traditional styles, I've recently started my hand in segmented and basket illusion which I have found to really enhance the piece. I also carve and do pyrography on my turns, mainly experimenting as I go. The wood will tell me what to do. I really look forward to learning more and share my finished pieces. Here are just a few... Thank you again!
I’m in North Texas as well!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
LOL! That right there tells me how many folks are involved in your chapter! I plan on being there and can't wait to meet you and other turners around here!

Gwen, I'm sorry that I missed the meeting Thursday. I had other business to attend to that interfered with going to the meeting.I tried watching the meeting on Zoom, but there were some technical difficulties with low/no sound and poor picture quality that made it difficult to get much out of the meeting.

Gwen, I'm sorry that I missed the meeting Thursday. I had other business to attend to that interfered with going to the meeting.I tried watching the meeting on Zoom, but there were some technical difficulties with low/no sound and poor picture quality that made it difficult to get much out of the meeting.
Hi Bill! No worries! I missed it as well, I had some family stuff to attend to and wasn't able to make it, and have been pretty busy with all that but I am planning on next one! Thank you for reaching out!

Back