• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Hand sanding or power sanding? Why?

There has been a lot of discussion on what type/brand of power sander folks use on this site.

As a newb - I was wondering what the advantages were of using the power sander vs. holding sandpaper against the spinning form.

I assume one advantage is a more random sanding groove pattern with the power sander. Correct? Are you able to get a better finish with the power tool?

Or, is it simply an time efficiency advantage for those that do production turning?

Thanks in advance for any help!

You and Roger are correct. There are some advantages to hand sanding in certain situations, though. If a contour isn't exactly what you want you can use your fingers and sandpaper to finesse the curve. And sometimes the curve that needs sanding is too tight to get at with a pad and drill.
So it comes down to best techique for the job.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
For bowls & hollow forms with the lathe rotating the piece
Hand sanding will leave more visible lines than a disc under power. The inertial sanders leave less visible lines than the powered discs.
Sanding with the lathe not running or the piece off the lathe the power disc edge can be kept parallel to grain and hand sanding can be done parallel to the grain.

spindles you are pretty much stuck with hand sanding - I try to cut cleanly enough to sand with 320 and 400.

When I hand sand spheres held in a cup I rotate the axis of the sphere 3 times for each grit
End grain to the centers, side grain to the centers, face grain to the centers
With face grain to centers the growth rings are in line with the sanding marks making them disappear.

with good sanding technique you won’t see any sanding marks in North American hardwood at 320 grit and 220 grit will do much of the time.
When you don’t sand with the grain you may need to use 600 grit or higher.

Last edited:
Emphasis on much faster, especially for bowls, and especially when just starting and your cutting technique is a little rough.... Slower drill speeds and slower lathe speeds allow the abrasives to dig in and cut much better than higher speeds. Too much pressure, when hand sanding or with power sanding will generate more heat, and it will wear your drill out much faster.

robo hippy

Back