• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Have and Honest Question, and I have thick skin

Other than working with wood, my other hobby is riding motorcycles with my wife....yes she rides her own Harley. I have been on a Harley Forum for years to learn, answer questions, and give/get advice. One thing I noticed from day one (probably 5 years ago) is that the "masters" of all (HD) get upset with the same questions being asked. I for one, have always tried to answer the same questions even though they have been asked before...oil, pipes, stage 1 vs 2.

My point is that I am new to this forum. I purposely post my new questions in the newbie forum because that is what I am, a newbie. I see a heck of a lot of views to my questions with very few replies. I would like to think it's because a bunch of "newbies" have the same question and are looking for answers but I have a feeling it's a bunch of talented turners that don't have time to give suggestions. Again, I have thick skin and you can't hurt my feelings but I have never understood if you take the time to click on a link, why wouldn't you take the time to reply? Maybe it's just me. If you want a reference point go to the main page and look at the thread about the people who posted "I survived, or To My Turning Family". So many people looked at these posts and didn't have the time to give a "God Bless". I have never met Breck but i guarantee, he took the time.

Okay. My rant is done. Remember, this is on the newbie Forum so I shouldn't be kicked off. If I am, Good Turning to all of you. May God Bless you with keeping all 8 fingers and two thumbs.

been the pro from Dover other places too

I have been the pro from Dover other places too. When I first came to a forum I knew things others didn't and taught a few dozen people what I knew. Soon they were answering the questions and I was content to read a thread, see that the question had been adequately answered, and pass on without comment.

Most newbie questions are like those I answered on those other forums. They do have only one or very few right answers. Once those answers have been given most of the members of this site don't bother with "me too's". When a thread has many visits but few answers you can be pretty sure they are good answers. The more gray area in a subject the longer the thread is likely to be. Most newbie questions don't have much gray area.

Like most sites that have been around awhile, this site is a community. Most of the long threads will drift all over the place more about conversation than the original topic of the thread although the long term members do get into pretty intense and lengthy discussions with each other sometimes.

I didn't keep up with the hours but I suspect I put in close to a hundred hours just scanning back over the threads page by page and reading when I first came here. Any long thread is worth a quick glance to see if they are into a serious technical discussion about the original subject or even something else entirely. Good people here and some of the best turners anywhere. I found them extremely helpful and still find them to be.

When you read my posts remember you are getting another rookie woodturner's input. I do have a background as a machinist, mechanical designer, mechanic, and a dozen other things though so some areas I think I can give something of value, some places when I post information I warn consider the source!

A final thought: When I feel something is a newbie question I post it in this forum. When I feel it is relevant to everyone I post it in the main forum. Post where something fits best for best responses and don't be bashful about contributing when you feel you have something to add to a thread. As you can see I never hesitate to! :D:rolleyes::D

Hu

Scott,
Hu hit it pretty well. The other situation on some topics is that people take offense to certain responses because that method doesn't work for them or they own that lathe (read current thread on stubby versus robust). Some responses work for one person but for the majority of others it is dangerous (like the gentlemen who advocates using a spindle roughing gouge on bowls). Don't worry about lack of response for on some subjects you may get more than what you wanted.

Dale

Scott, I wouldn't put too much into view count vs. replies ......

We have a lot in common, as I am both new, and have ridden an 80lb vibrator for 30+ years (I have a '58 Pan, wife has a '64 Shovel)
the "hard core brothers" have a much different attitude, and lack of tolerance (honestly they do), hence the quickness to chime in with a negative response.
The younger and newer brothers are even worse as they feel they have to impress the old timers. :rolleyes:

As with Hu, I've spent a couple weeks going through past threads looking for answers before I asked the same "dumb" question
but since I feel my circumstances are different than others who've posted, I ask anyway (look at my wet wood post)
there will be replies eventually, and they will be the ones you actually need/want, then there's no other reason for someone else to answer, except to give their own opinion on process.
And I have found from the many different forums/web sites I've trolled, there are dozens of different process's for everything, each has their own way.
I personally accept the answers here more-so than anywhere else, because these people have taken the time to join the AAW, and support what we are doing .......
that, and you'll see many have given professional demonstrations somewhere, meaning they know what they're talking about.......

In a case such as bowlman, it's possible some people just don't know how to reply, or what to say, and some may have sent their thoughts/prayers through a private message
I am also familiar with his condition, I am in my 3rd remission, and haven't responded because I'm taking the time to figure out how to work a response and give the proper support.
But, I can attest, the people who open up with info like he has, the support from his fellow community does help a lot
it takes a strong mental attitude to deal with cancer and the treatments, and a few simple words from friends definitely help with that attitude.

keep on turning, and keep the bugs outta yer teeth ;)

I end up typing and canceling more posts than actually clicking submit reply.
A lot of times I realize that what I have to say would probably be stated more clearly by someone with more direct knowledge of the subject.
I like to answer questions with a fact based answer.
Sure enough, I have opinions on a bunch of topics. Woodturning is the topic of this forum and I try to keep on topic.
Several forums I frequent have a regular cast of characters who will reply to almost any post on any subject.
Usually it is to leverage some insider joke or personal relationship with another poster. The threads head for the ditch in a hurry.
With luck the question of the original post was answered.

Anyhow, I read through threads that seem interesting.
If I post something I will take a look at the view count, but I don't take it personal if the number of replies is lower than I would like.
This is a pretty low traffic forum and the noise level is bearable.
Ask a question and someone will answer. And it pretty much stays on topic too.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
that's the norm for Forums. I posted an answer to a post one time and the moderator told me 400 people had read my answer. It only had about 6 actual responses to my answer.
Yes it does get old sometimes answering the same question over and over. How to dry green bowls for example. I try to answer but somedays just don't feel like it so I understand the guys on your Harley Forum. (I'm a BMW rider myself)

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Dwight I find that a lot. Most of the times people ask questions without ever doing a search on the site or even a google search. Many times you can find the answer in minutes.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Other than working with wood, my other hobby is riding motorcycles with my wife....yes she rides her own Harley. I have been on a Harley Forum for years to learn, answer questions, and give/get advice. One thing I noticed from day one (probably 5 years ago) is that the "masters" of all (HD) get upset with the same questions being asked. I for one, have always tried to answer the same questions even though they have been asked before...oil, pipes, stage 1 vs 2.

My point is that I am new to this forum. I purposely post my new questions in the newbie forum because that is what I am, a newbie. I see a heck of a lot of views to my questions with very few replies. I would like to think it's because a bunch of "newbies" have the same question and are looking for answers but I have a feeling it's a bunch of talented turners that don't have time to give suggestions. Again, I have thick skin and you can't hurt my feelings but I have never understood if you take the time to click on a link, why wouldn't you take the time to reply? Maybe it's just me. If you want a reference point go to the main page and look at the thread about the people who posted "I survived, or To My Turning Family". So many people looked at these posts and didn't have the time to give a "God Bless". I have never met Breck but i guarantee, he took the time.

Okay. My rant is done. Remember, this is on the newbie Forum so I shouldn't be kicked off. If I am, Good Turning to all of you. May God Bless you with keeping all 8 fingers and two thumbs.

I'll do my part to up your reply-to-read ratio. Seriously, Hu gave an excellent answer and I read your post two or three times during the day and didn't really have much to add besides something like, "I agree".

After thinking about it, I decided that I do have some thoughts about so many reads and so few replies:
  • There isn't a large number of active participants on this forum
  • There are a lot of lurkers who never post, but do read threads
  • Upon opening a thread and reading a couple posts, someone might decide that they aren't interested, don't know the answer, or see that what they intended to say has already been said.
  • To a certain extent every forum has its own unique culture, so what you see on the HD forum may not be the same here.
  • The reply/read ratio here isn't much different than many other forums that I visit.
  • What isn't perceived as a clique by active participants, might be perceived that way by newbies or by lurkers.
  • There are very few pros or experts here. We're mostly a bunch of average folks, each of whom has something to bring to the table

So, don't worry -- it's not your deoderant or that folks are rude or lazy -- it's just what it is.

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I am puzzled why it appears as the search functions aren't used on the various forums. Before I ask a question I can usually find the answers.

I can think of several reasons. First, a newbie may not be familiar with forum features -- keep in mind the demographics of woodturners -- mostly retirees, many of whom have little computer experience. A newbie may not know enough to know what words to put in the search field. Sometimes information in old posts is stale -- things like what lathe wouldn't get the same answer as a few years ago. People are just friendlier here. On a photography forum, a lot of responses are RTFM or Google is your friend or use the search function. If we followed the advice of those people, the forum would eventually cease to exist when all possible questions have been asked. It would then only exist as a repository of information.

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Scott

The forum is just one piece of the huge "pay it forward" enterprise built by the AAW.
Just about every turner out there learned from other turners.

There are over 16000 AAW Members. The vast majority of which turn for fun. Some make enough money to pay for some tools. A small minority make their livelihood through turning.
They all give their knowledge to other members through:

The AAW journal - archives are a treasure trove of how to do articles
356 AAW chapters
20 chapter owned regional symposiums
AAW symposium

The Woodturning Fundamentals is a cornerstone laid for web based education of new members.

While I encourage you to continue participating in the forum be aware it is a very very very small part of what the AAW has to offer.

Take a class from an AAW member
Join a chapter
Go to a regional symposium
Go to the AAW Symposium
Get on the fundamental mailing list........

Have fun
Al

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
AAW's Woodturning FUNdamentals is one of the best kept secrets, most folk I have spoken to don't know it even exists. Hopefully the new website layout will make it more discoverable.

Thanks to all that stopped to read as well as reply. Like I said, no hurt feelings, just wondering. I have learned so much from reading all of the threads and I do hope one day to be able to help other newbies. I'm having a blast with turning and would be in the shop 24/7 if I could.

I do hope to join the local AAW group.

On thing about some woodturners, is that they post on several different turning forums. If you look at Dick Gerard's post, you will also see it on WoodCentral. In my case, I checked to see if he posted anything else, and since he didn't, I moved on. I had already posted a response on WoodCentral.

Website
www.kellydunnwoodturner.com
Scott, most forums have a few rules that should be read by every newcomer. That way you know the basic rules for the road so to speak. If you asking your question would have gotten you bounced you should have said good riddance. But it is an honest question and you have been given pretty straight forward answers. It takes time to answer a question. Some questions need some actual personal questions before they can be answered. So much so that they often get skipped. When you join a turning club you will find that 10% of the folks are active. The rest want educated and entertained. You will find a group on every forum kind of the same way. Its the few that are active. It takes a photo or thread for the many others who lurk to really strike them to make a comment. I ask lurkers why they dont get active and the most common answer is they dont feel qualified. Within that is that often they are going up against world known turners who comment and they dont want to seem dumb. Or some other word to that respect. I say BS. Turners are the most giving group of folks I know. And a question sometimes can lead to a very interesting and educational thread. The points of view of the many turners from all over the world from every age and life experiance bracket helps at least me in giving me a larger view. And has been said some of it is the giving back. We all started in the same place. Most of us had help to get where we are and are grateful so help in return. The more active a turner is on this or other forums the more they learn whether they think so or not. That allows in my view to pass on that learning if you are so inclined. So you can be a lurker or ask questions you want answers to. The talent is sure here.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Scott, most forums have a few rules that should be read by every newcomer. That way you know the basic rules for the road so to speak. If you asking your question would have gotten you bounced you should have said good riddance. But it is an honest question and you have been given pretty straight forward answers. It takes time to answer a question. Some questions need some actual personal questions before they can be answered. So much so that they often get skipped. When you join a turning club you will find that 10% of the folks are active. The rest want educated and entertained. You will find a group on every forum kind of the same way. Its the few that are active. It takes a photo or thread for the many others who lurk to really strike them to make a comment. I ask lurkers why they dont get active and the most common answer is they dont feel qualified. Within that is that often they are going up against world known turners who comment and they dont want to seem dumb. Or some other word to that respect. I say BS. Turners are the most giving group of folks I know. And a question sometimes can lead to a very interesting and educational thread. The points of view of the many turners from all over the world from every age and life experiance bracket helps at least me in giving me a larger view. And has been said some of it is the giving back. We all started in the same place. Most of us had help to get where we are and are grateful so help in return. The more active a turner is on this or other forums the more they learn whether they think so or not. That allows in my view to pass on that learning if you are so inclined. So you can be a lurker or ask questions you want answers to. The talent is sure here.

The above comment by Kelly Dunn, which I've made in bold, struck me as particularly relevant...... I have modified my thinking and turning practices often, because of my participation on these forums. I've also become stronger in many of my other beliefs in which I hold a minority opinion.

===============================================================

On the current topic: I see repeated questions as well. I am one who wants the same old questions to be answered by fresh voices. If that person simply used a search to get the answer, new perspectives won't be aired at all........and, new opinions/views are what makes the same old questions become a source of enlightenment, when it was thought that it wasn't possible!..........:cool:

ooc

Back