• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Hawaiian Bowl Repairs

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
One of the repairs that the ancient Hawaiians did was one patch called Poho. They would cut the broken part of the bowl and insert another one. Most of them were rectangular and had several pewa (butterflies) holding them in. Inserting a Poho patch is time-consuming. I only do it on a bowl that will sell well, usually $500 and up. Less than that is not worth the time. But now, a game-changer. Mark Stebbins and I develop three sizes of Poho patches. So far, so good. A Poho patch held together with pewa looks good and adds value to any of my bowls. Today I used the large Poho on a punky area of a curly Koa urn that I'm working on. Looks much better than pouring epoxy. Mark calls the templates he's made for me "prototypes," and I'm the tester, so I don't know if he has any for sale or even if he will have them available. I'm not sure if a Poho patch would appeal to someone outside of Hawaii. I know many people all over the world are using the pewa. I'm closing in demo number 80; I get pictures with calabashes and pewa repairs from all over. It makes me happy to see that people try to do what they learned out of my demo.

Attachments

• IMG_5371.JPG
    IMG_5371.JPG
    360.6 KB · Views: 87

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I hope the template becomes available. This type of repair is much more authentic looking than anything else I have seen.
It won't be on his website for a while. If you want one, you will have to give him a call. It's so easy to do, I think I have a winner here.

Back