• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Heather Marusiak

Hello, everyone! My name is Heather Marusiak and I just started woodturning in the summer of 2020. My background is in art education and I have taught both primary and secondary art, depending on where my husband and I have lived (he is in the Army and we move every few years). Being an art educator, I have to have proficiency in a variety of media, but my personal body of work has been primarily in clay and wood sculpture. My husband surprised me last summer with a lathe as a birthday gift and I was instantly hooked. Since then, I have participated in two AAW Women in Turning Virtual Exchange collaborations, and these experiences have opened my eyes to the potential of artistic turning. I'll attach pictures of these collaborations below. In the first picture, I turned the walnut spindle and carved the figure, and in the second and third photos I turned the candlesticks, then carved and painted them along with carving and painting the central spinning cylinder. It might be too much to go into descriptions of my WIT experiences and collaborations here in the introductions forum, but these women challenged and encouraged me in such a way that I know I am going to be sticking with woodturning for the long haul.

Attachments

• Iconic Generosity Final.jpg
    Iconic Generosity Final.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Inspiring Aggregate.jpg
    Inspiring Aggregate.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 43
  • Inspiring Aggregate Supplement.jpg
    Inspiring Aggregate Supplement.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 44
  • image0.jpeg
    image0.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 39
  • image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    156.2 KB · Views: 38
Wow! In a year, you've developed incredible skill. Those candlesticks are beautiful. I think you have true talent here. I started a little over a year ago, and am nowhere near that skilled. Welcome to the forums!! I look forward to more of your work!

Wow! In a year, you've developed incredible skill. Those candlesticks are beautiful. I think you have true talent here. I started a little over a year ago, and am nowhere near that skilled. Welcome to the forums!! I look forward to more of your work!
Thanks for the warm welcome, Jon. As the saying goes, life is short and the craft so long to learn… since I began turning, I just feel breathless trying to learn as much as I can as fast as I can. I admit to feeling a bit jealous of those who were exposed to turning at a young age or in shop class. My one advantage is that I have spent my adulthood as an art teacher, constantly puzzling out how to make this or that. This is a going to be a fun journey, I think.

Back