• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Heavy Metal

Heavy Metal​

Steady Rest G0800-1.jpgSteady Rest G0800-2.jpg
Back in October, I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger on a Welding machine. I've wanted one for years, and thought I'm not getting any younger, so I got a Miller Multimatic - Multi-Process welder. This is my first project, and while it is not perfect, it is purely functional, and structurally sound. I'm just learning to weld, and the days I fabricated this was cold and windy, and because my shop is tiny, I had to do this outside, and used flux core welding wire, which also produces the most welding spatter, and wind just creates it's own set of problems.

This is based on Jeff Nichol's design, with a couple of modifications. The arm at upper left can be placed anywhere you want, and it can be configured as either a 4 wheel steady, or a 3 wheel. This is a 24" steady for my G0800 lathe, as my other one is too small for it.
I hope everyone is doing well, and so far 2021 has been my best year ever in sales. I just wish I had more time to devote to making, but am thankful I can do what I've done. Best wishes for a Merry Christmas to all.

You sure you made it big enough Roger? LOL You hear plus and minuses on roller blade wheels. I have a method to compress the urethane a little to take out some of the bounce.

Nice job Roger. So you no longer need that one for the 766 right?
I do use the other one with my G0766. It was made for my former 18/47 G0698, so when I got the 22” swing g0766, I had to add a base riser to make it work, but the 24” swing on the G0800 was just too much for the thing, thus the need to build one to fit the G0800.

You sure you made it big enough Roger? LOL You hear plus and minuses on roller blade wheels. I have a method to compress the urethane a little to take out some of the bounce.
The skate wheels he used look like the same ones that I used and I found that the tires all had a molding ridge that was out of round and that contributed to the bounce. The solution that I came up with was to make a spindle to hold the tires only then using a fingernail grind detail gouge true up the tires one at a time.

Nice job Roger. I made the same steady rest. I did have some vibrations at certain speeds. I used a 1/4” base plate, but the welded another 1/4” plate to that. I also put gussets behind the arm fixtures and between the holes. That is what solved the problem. Mine was a little smaller than yours. The gussets seemed to add the most stability

23CFDC78-703E-45CC-8EB9-6644CD2DA50B_1_201_a.jpeg

Mine also have what you call gussets, or what I call support brackets behind the arm pockets. I doubled up the plate on the bottom of the base, with a piece to fit between the bed ways, and also did the same on the clamp plate underneath. I used 1/2” grade 8 bolts, and welded the nuts on the bottom of the clamp plate, so I would not have to fidget with threading the nuts on from underneath the lathe. Simple, yet effective way to get a very solid hold.

Back