• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Height of grinder

Hi,

Studio is almost ready to go. I need to build a grinder bench. What is the preferred height for the grinder, based on spindle axis? Is it elbow-heighe, like the lathe, or is it most comfortable/useful at some other position?

Thanks.

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
I didn’t put much thought into my grinder height. I just attached it to my workbench in a position that didn’t force me to slouch when grinding. I’ll spend hours at the lathe, but only 20 or fewer seconds at the grinder. That said, I’m sure there’s a standard (a la better answer than I’m giving!).

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
How tall you are might be the data input for determining your ideal grinder stand height. Non adjustable stands from McMaster Carr range from about 30" to 34", and the adjustable stand height ranges from 22" to 43". I have two grinders and both commercial stands are non adjustable. They are likely within the 30" to 34" range, and I've never felt the height was an issue. (At 74, I've shrunk from my 5'9" height in my youth.....and, I'm now 5'7".....oh the results of now officially being an "old codger"!!!!!)

If you have a 6" grinder, the el-cheapo stand from Home Depot will suffice, but if your grinder is an 8", I'd suggest getting a heavier duty stand.....it'll run smoother. My 8" grinder stand is a Steel City, and I believe I paid around $150 ten or fifteen years ago. It's also bolted to the cement floor. My old Delta 8" grinder (rubber mounted) runs very smoothly on this stand. (no regrets getting the heavier stand for this grinder) The 6" grinder is mounted on a cheap HF stand, and suits that purpose fine. I only use the 6" grinder for general grinding and major shaping of lathe tools, although I learned to sharpen on this grinder before I upgraded to the 8" grinder.

-----odie-----

IMG_1174.JPG IMG_1159.JPG

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Depends on how you plan to sharpen.
good posture, and being able to see what you are doing are the factors to consider.

when I hand sharpened my bowl gouge I had the center of the wheel near shoulder height. Gave me a good look at the bevel on the wheel and good control of the tool standing with my back straight.

going to a jig for sharpening a wheel center a bit above waist level is best for me. much easier to use the jig at this level.

I platform sharpen only. For me, best height is about the same as my lathes. When using a platform, you do exactly the same as you do when you turn, ABC, anchor the tool on the platform, rub the bevel and cut/sharpen.

robo hippy

I have the center of wheel at chest height. I had to put it that high for lack of space but like it there. If I ever move into my bigger building I will mount it at the same height.

Back