• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Searching for Tailstock for Grizzly G1495 Lathe

Need Tail Stock for Grizzly Lathe Model NO: G1495

Cracked tail stock on my lathe. It is a second hand lathe. Can not find the discontinued part anywhere. Any information or direction would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you turners!

I would check eBay on a weekly basis for a used one if it comes up by chance. CraigsList would be another option for finding another lathe of the same model that you can use as parts machine. There is a website that searches the entire countries CraigsList listings. You could check with Grizzly to see if any parts are still available for that model of lathe. You could have a welding shop repair your cracked tail stock assembly. A machine shop could easily take measurements off of the old tail stock and use a CNC to mill a tail stock body, they would then drill out the hole for the quill. Your last option is to purchase another lathe and part out the old Grizzly lathe, some people make good money selling individual parts of lathes on eBay.

Thanks Mike. I have been all over craigslist and eBay, along with contacting Grizzly. The part has been discontinued and the manufacturer Grizzly had contracted has closed its doors. Alas the hunt must go on. I hadn't thought of the CNC Mill route, very interesting.

Chris Fairbanks

Adminstrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
The other thing you could look for is another grizzly or other brand tailstock that is the same size. It looks like the lathe is a 14” swing so as long as you find one the same height and the same gap between the ways you should be able to make it to work. You might need to shim a little to get things to line up exactly though

Another possibility is finding a quill assembly and have a welding shop fabricate the tail stock assembly. This is a common method for custom built wood lathes there are several videos on YouTube that show the process of fabricating a tail stock. The machined quill assembly is the most complicated part of the build the rest of the tail stock is getting the quill centered to the ways and the headstock.

If you did another make and model of 14" tailstock you could use shim stock to raise the tail stock as needed. If the tail stock is too high
you could have a machine shop grind the bottom to the correct height. If the measurement was off by a small amount you could also try
shimming the headstock to line up with the off brand tailstock.

Depending on where the crack is, a good welding should could repair the part. If the part is cast iron and wouldn't need a lot of rework after the repair getting the crack welded may be an option. However finding a quality welding shop these days is a challenge.

The trick with welding cast iron is it needs to be preheated to allow the weld metal to adhere to the cast iron.
For an item this size you could put it in an oven to bring the temperature up and remove it quickly from the oven
and then use a torch to heat and weld the crack.

I repair cracked and broken cast iron quite frequently. The two most common methods are welding using nickel rod and brazing. I much prefer brazing. With either method proper preparation of the base metal is essential. Clean and "V" out the crack. Pre-heat and slow cool down helps. A simple crack would probably be a $50 repair.

Back