• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Help setting up Oneway sharpening jig

After struggling with a six inch high speed grinder and a Wolverine sharpening system for several years, I've switched to an eight inch variable speed grinder.
I was never satisfied with the alignment of my Wolverine with the stone on the six inch grinder.
Are there any tips, suggestions, experience you all can offer to help set up my Wolverine with my new grinder? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

J. Tyler

If you go to the Oneway site they have help pages on everything they sell.
After getting mine home I was able to lose the instructions, found them on the web and was able to get it set up.
Hope this help you out.

Website
www.gulfcoastwoodturners.org
Sharpening Demystified

Check out American Woodturner, Journal of the American Association of Woodturners, Winter 2006, p 32, "A better way to sharpen gouges, Sharpening demystified" by Kirk DeHeer for one approach to setting up the Wolverine system for sharpening gouges.

Also, check out Thompson Lathe Tools Sharpening Tips at http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/sharpening.asp. Thompson provides tips on sharpening bowl gouge, spindle gouge, detail gouge, scraper and skew.

Website
www.docwks.com
I have a real passion for setting grinders up, ever since I got a expensive wheel from Craft Supply that was and still is out of balance. Don Geiger in my book is an expert at setting these systems up and while he likes to sell his items he is also willing to make sure you understand how to get the most out of your set up. Make sure the guides are centered on the wheel and 6 1/4 - 1/2 from the bottom of the guide to the center of the grinder shaft. Getting the wheel balanced is an art form and is cheap and easy to do, if you understand how to do it. You can spend a bunch on wheels, and I have my own opinions on those, but if it's balanced and clean it will sharpen your tools in seconds. Like the previous suggestions read up on the different sites and get as many bits of information as you can. Don't get in a hurry when setting it up, do it right the first time and you won't regret the time spent.

Except for 8" grinder

I switched from a 6 to an 8 inch grinder. To enable sharpening on the 8" it meant I had to put a spacer block 1 1/4" thick between the grinder and the mounting board. Also removed the rubber feet on the grinder.
I measure 7 1/2" from the bottom of the jig to the center of the grinder shaft. The importance of centering the jig on the grinding wheel cannot be stressed enough especially when using the vari-grind II. Spend the time to do it right the first time and you will save a lot of headache down the road.

Rob

All good advice including Steve's idea. I would only add that once you have it set up and the v arm set to where you like it for your angle or grind on the gouge then go one step further. Cut a dowel (I happen to have a 1/2" handy) the length between the v arm and the wheel. I rest the dowel in the v arm and the on top of the bottom guard for the grinding wheel and then touch the dowel to the grinding wheel. Then as your wheel starts to wear you can drop the dowel in the v groove and on top of the wheel guard and slide the v arm in until the dowel touches the wheel and your grind stays consistant as the wheel wears down. Mark each dowel with which gouge there for if you use multiple grinds.

J

The key is to get your height from your base to the center of the shaft correct. Oneway says it should be between 6 1/4" - 6 1/2". This may require a spacer block between the base and the grinder. The other thing to try and nail down is the centering of the bases to the wheels, especially if you opt for a vari-grind 2. For alignment I mounted the grinder so my wheels were even with the front edge of the base. I then used a square to mark from the center of the wheels to the edge of the base. This makes for easy aligning of the two bases.

Since you are in the process of redoing all of this, you might want to take advantage of pimping it out. I'm a bit of a freak about not being able to find things, so I made it a bit easier on myself. I have a $35 HF base with water tray underneath, doubled up 3/4" ply with a 1/4" spacer (gets me 6 1/2"h), various holes to take all the attachments including the pocket arm and platform. The base measures 24"w x 15"d. If I were to do it again I'd probably make it 24" x 18", just so I had more room to mount my depth blocks and the veritas burnisher.

Back