• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

HF dust collection footprint

I definitely need a decent DC system. The Shop Vac is very limited as you all know. As the budget permits, and SWMBO agrees, I'm considering the HF 61790/97869, 2 HP, 70 gallon system. My main concern is the size of the footprint. I'm cramped for space as it is so that is important. I might have to move some things out of the shop and bring them in as I need- router table, chop saw. Just need to find a place for them! Appreciate a reply as the HF specs don't show this and I'm not driving 36 miles to see the dimensions.

AlanZ

Resident Techno Geek
I have a couple of dust collectors, one in each room of the shop (it was way too difficult to try to pipe between the rooms). One is a Delta with a cannister, the other a Harbor Freight with a Thien baffle, and the motor re-mounted to make it much more compact. I made this page several years ago... it might give you some ideas. http://www.zenreich.com/ZenWeb/shop/dustcollector.htm

Thanks, Alan. Not sure if I would have the wall space as you show with the impeller. Need to see what I can shift around for the maximum use of the shop area. It's so small, I have to go out to the basement to change my mind.

I purchased the "2 HP" Harbor Freight dust collector about 6 years ago. I'm assuming the dimensions haven't changed since then. It rests on a wheeled base which is 22" x 33". But part of the fan housing overhangs the base. And there is a Y on the inlet to the blower that sticks out too. Mine is shoved as tightly into a corner as I can get it, and has an overall footprint of 32" x 35" once the hoses are hooked up.

If you do get the HF unit, be sure to upgrade the filter to something better than the 5 micron bag it comes with. Wynn Environmental carries cartridge filters designed to fit: https://wynnenv.com/woodworking-filters/harbor-freight-collectors/

John,
I had the HF dust collector for 4 years. Ran 6” waste drain (pvc) all over my 30 x 30 shop. It ran like a champ and was very quiet for a dust collector. If you can fit it into your shop, I highly recommend it. You get a lot of value for your money. Also, ditto the add-on filter cartridge recommended by Dave. You can get other cartridge filters from Amazon or eBay.
Jon

Jon and Dave, many thanks for your replies. Definitely need a DC system. I can hook the hose to the Shop Vac near my turnings but doesn't have the oooomph to pull the waste into the hose. May pick up some of the real fine stuff. When I'm done with a piece, I'm ankle deep in chips, wood dust, and shavings. I can vacuum the floor with the SV but feel that the time is better spent doing other things.....like more turning.

I've been away from the forum for a bit--been perusing posts.
I use the HF dust collector, except rather than have the big bag, have routed it through the wall. I also added a cyclone to catch the bigger chips. Have several hoses to each machine, use blast gates to control flow. Plus HF sells a remote to turn it off/on--- Works fine!
Then as a plus, since the bag isn't there, it's just the right size for my shop compressor to sit on--two machines in the space of one.

Last edited:
DC system on hold for a long time. Had to buy a new car as old one was on its deathbed.

sorry to hear about your car - but thought I’d chime in on this anyway. When you’re ready, the HF 2hp dc is a good buy. Got mine used about 6 years ago at a garage sale for a song and a dance. Upgraded to Wynn Environmental nano cartitrdge, added a cyclone and a remote for it. Its been going strong for 6 years. New shop has a crawlspace with enough headroom to put in down there (along with the compressor) and run ducting where I need it - the next project on my list. It does occupy some room, but it is well spent in my estimation.

Back