• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Hidden things in wood

Well, this wasn't fun! I'm sure that some of you have no doubt found things in wood over the years that give you a bit of heartburn, but this is one that happened to me this morning.

This was from a large, heavy crotch piece, of that Red Maple Burl that I posted the small vase from last week. I knew it had some rot in it, but figured I could salvage enough of that highly figured wood that I could get at least a couple of medium sized platters or perhaps a couple of shallow bowls from it.

This took its toll on a couple of chainsaw chains on two different saws, but on the best chain it was only one cutter tooth that got the brunt of it, and it's fixable with a resharpening. I got some smoke and realized I wasn't cutting wood for some reason! I think this crotch had split many years ago, and someone tried to salvage the tree, which had to come down last year from a neighbors house.

What have you run into when cutting wood? Don't you just love surprises?!!!

636852188109635555.JPG

I didn't take a picture, no cell phones in those days, but I hit a block of concrete in the crotch of an ash log. The bark had completely grown over the feeble attempt to stop the decaying wound. I lost nearly every tooth in the shower of sparks off that chain.

I didn't take a picture, no cell phones in those days, but I hit a block of concrete in the crotch of an ash log. The bark had completely grown over the feeble attempt to stop the decaying wound. I lost nearly every tooth in the shower of sparks off that chain.
Man Richard, I'd sure hate to hit a concrete block with a chainsaw. I got a pretty good jump from my big Husqvarna XP390 when that one tooth hit it, and then my 359 Husky when I changed saws, I did not realize it was as big and long a threaded rod as it was, but at least the 359 had a chain on it that had already gotten it's last resharpening.

I use a professional grinding machine to resharpen the teeth. Can't beat the ease and exact depth and angle settings. Makes it a consistent process that gives one the best resharpen in my opinion.

I've found bullets in split firewood before. Completely grown over and not readily visible from the outside. I've not found one while milling lumber though.

I've found bullets in split firewood before. Completely grown over and not readily visible from the outside. I've not found one while milling lumber though.

I have run into a bullet more than once. In fact one of my finished boxes has a sizable piece of a bullet in the bottom. Fortunately they were lead and not too hard on the tools.

Golf ball cut right through it without knowing I hit otherwise I might have been tee'd off. Out back I have a really nice elm tree with tree steps someone forgot to take with them when the went to college.
Jerry

Back in 1999 I had the high bid in a silent auction for 3 walnut trees that yielded 6 saw logs plus numerous miscellaneous turning blanks. The saw logs I milled with my Wood Mizer band mill and as each of the first 5 logs was loaded onto the mill I checked them with a metal detector. The 6th and largest log I got lazy and just started squaring then about half way through the tone changed and the blade dipped. The culprit was a completely buried steel top hat bracket made of 3/8" x 1 1/2" steel flat.

Back