• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Hollowing King Blades

I have 2 of Paul Crabtree's Hollowing King tools that I like a lot but can't find a source of replacement cutters. I don't know what happened to Paul or production of his tool line. Does anyone know of a source for replacement cutters?

I looked at photos of the Crabtree follower and it appears that it accepts standard teardrop scraper bits. Both Packard and Craft Supplies have them for sale. There looks to be two different shapes, one with a sharp corner and one with a more rounded egg shape

I looked at photos of the Crabtree follower and it appears that it accepts standard teardrop scraper bits. Both Packard and Craft Supplies have them for sale. There looks to be two different shapes, one with a sharp corner and one with a more rounded egg shape
Michael, Thank you very much for the help. I appreciate the time and effort looking all this up. The problem with the Hollowing King cutters is they're only 5/8" wide 1 1/8" long and have a large .30" slot for attaching screw. In the end these tools may have to be modified to accept available cutters. Thanks again Michael. I do appreciate you taking time to help.

I would consider making a cutter before modifying the bar. An inexpensive die grinder and cutoff wheel from the cheap tool store and some high speed steel or better yet an old planer blade would give you the option of making blades to suite your needs, not limit you to what you can buy. A few examples, plus a pic of the SSSB (super simple sharpening bar). The bar is a shop made sharpening aid, a piece of 3/8th steel from the big box store, rounded point at one end, drilled and tapped at the other. Used in the pocket of a wolverine system it keeps fingers cool and makes shaping and sharpening a breeze.
SSSB in use.jpeg
The SSSB in use.

Cutters and sharpening bar.jpeg
Shapes?

I would consider making a cutter before modifying the bar. An inexpensive die grinder and cutoff wheel from the cheap tool store and some high speed steel or better yet an old planer blade would give you the option of making blades to suite your needs, not limit you to what you can buy. A few examples, plus a pic of the SSSB (super simple sharpening bar). The bar is a shop made sharpening aid, a piece of 3/8th steel from the big box store, rounded point at one end, drilled and tapped at the other. Used in the pocket of a wolverine system it keeps fingers cool and makes shaping and sharpening a breeze.
View attachment 40569
The SSSB in use.

View attachment 40568
Shapes?
I think you're right. I'll try making my own. Thanks

Back