• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

hollowing tool

Our club challenge this month is a lidded box. I've never done any hollowing and always wanted to, this may be my chance.

What tool would you suggest as the first hollowing tool for a beginner?

Thanks for any input.

Dave f.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
To hollow boxes all you need is a bowl gouge or a spindle gouge, or a roundnose scraper. Any one of the above will work fine.
To make it easier drill a hole in the center to the depth you want. With experience you won't have to do this but it's easier at first.

To use the bowl gouge or spindle gouge tilt the flute so it's about 45 degrees to the left or pointing about 10 oclock. Start cutting at the center and go toward the outside. The bottom lip of the gouge will do the cutting.

To use the scraper it's the same movement but you keep the tool flat on the tool rest with the handle just a little higher than the cutting edge. Then just cut from the center out.
there are lots of specialty tools out there for hollowing boxes. I have many of them but still use the bowl or spindle gouge mostly followed by a clean up cut using one of the Hunter tools.
Now if your talking about hollow vessels that's a whole different ball game.

Dave, the best advice I can give you is to ask the right-experienced turner in your club for help. I trust your club has a mentoring program? If so take advantage of it.
John is right. Each tool he suggests must be sharpened correctly and presented the same way--correctly. Asking for help is really the best advice I can give you.
I have a number of hollowing tools, each with it's own character/use. The one I like best, I made. Not knowing your design specs a recommendation for tool purchase can not be made, I believe.

Website
www.docwks.com
Smart answer

I found a large fostner bit works really well. Sorry, I agree with Royce get some help from a club member. The thing about hollow forms is that there must be a hundred ways to do it, from really cheap to Wow that's going to hurt. When I did boxes for Christmas gifts for my wife's co-workers, I used the fostner bit, 3/8" bowl gouge and a skew. When I did one for my mom... well let's just say is started with a hook tool and a lot of love. I guess my advice is pick brains and try others tools before investing anything. Everyone does it different and there is no right answer. :D

Back