• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Hollowing tools

Does anyone have experience/ thoughts on the Jimmy Clewes Mate line of hollowing tools? I'm currently using Easy Woods#2. Wondering if the Mate line is worlds away better or if there is another make out there that would work.
Need a flat bottom to the tool and not a captured system.

Saw the Hunter videos. Not real confident about tilting the cutter into the work. Is that a better way to hollow as opposed to cutting straight into the centerline?
That's the best way they work. Lay them flat and they get super aggressive. All the hollowing systems that use the Hunter inserts run them at an angle including the Jamieson system

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I own both the Hunter and the Clewes. I prefer the Hunter tools. The cutter is tilted at a better angle. I own most of the Hunter tools and they are great.

To begin with Mike Hunter made the Mate tools before Clewes had them made elsewhere. I have the originals and would be hard pressed to think the cheaper ones Jimmy had made were better.

I have a Hunter Viceroy which I think is similar to Mate 1. It has a square bar and cutter is mounted at an angle. For hollowing it is like a dream to use but will feed fast . I have several other Hunters and they are never a disappointment. Oh by the way Hunters cut and not scrape.

Another Hunter fan here. I love the Badger tool, also have the smaller ornament hollowing set. Not familiar with the Mate line, but confident you wouldn’t go wrong getting a Badger.

Back