• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Hot Melt Glue For Knot Fill

The hot melt glue I have used for various things is too soft when cool to finish. Depends on the cool hardness of that stuff - how well does it sand. The web page makes it sound as though it would cool hard, but no type of hardness value. Also it lists several colors, but the description says there are only 2 colors. If there are 4-5 colors available and thhtere was a sample pack of 1 each it would be worth trying.

Would this compound be similar to that of Bondo type fillers, except heated rather than 2 part mixed? Somebody needs to try it and make a report.

Saw it a while ago at a local wood store, and it is used mostly for the flooring industry. Sounds like it has potential. Think I posted about a month or 4 ago...

robo hippy

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Saw it a while ago at a local wood store, and it is used mostly for the flooring industry. Sounds like it has potential. Think I posted about a month or 4 ago...

robo hippy
I had a good laugh with your line, a month ago, well, maybe 4, LOL. I'm surprised that you saw it and did not pick one up. Yes, we need a report from someone. One from you would be good Robo.

The material is called a polyamide. Nylon is one type of a polyamide. In a youtube video, they use a chisel to remove excess. It appears to have some tear out where it breaks ahead of the pressure from the chisel. So it does appear to be pretty hard. Looks like you need a real high temp gun and kits start at $100.

Well, if I have a hole to repair, I will some times do small ones and use the CA glue. Big holes, I don't even bother to turn them.

Side note, the Project Farm site on You Tube did a test of hot melt glues. There are some surprising differences. Maybe I can find the link since so many use it. You do need a commercial grade gun, not the hobby type.

Here it is:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu8sJBctzFc

Love this channel....

robo hippy

Last edited:
Back