• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

I love the look of this Lathe!

Sadly it’s outside my price range but one of these would really suit me, with the extension - except for one reason. Over here in the UK M33 x 3.5mm has become something of a standard, even on quite small lathes. Powermatic Lathes used to be sold by Axminster tools over here with a M33 x 3.5mm spindle. Axminster no longer sell them though and other suppliers only have them with the 1 1/4” x 1/8 spindle. So, that’s another “if I win the lottery” daydream spoilt. :D

IMG_9151.jpeg

Quite the opposite story, but for me also in the "vaporware" category, is my dream lathe, going back nearly 30 years to the first photos of them I ever saw in various British GMC turning books. Quirks and all, I didn't care, to me this was, and still is, the most visually attractive piece of machinery I could ever hope to own, even if it was just kept as artwork in my shop. I don't know how many of them came to the US (not many, I think), but I'll likely never see one in person. The Union Graduate shortbed lathe. Sigh... be still, my aching heart...
https://turnedwoodenbowls.co.uk/2017/03/07/graduate-lathe/

1000004784.jpg

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Sadly it’s outside my price range but one of these would really suit me, with the extension - except for one reason. Over here in the UK M33 x 3.5mm has become something of a standard, even on quite small lathes. P
Umm OneWay (From Canada) I believe comes standard with M33 x 3.5 - and those are more top-end than Powermatic.. (Pretty much OneWay and Robust are the Rolls Royce & Bentley of Lathes..., I guess..) But yeah, if my budget allowed it , I'd probably get a Powermatic if I couldn't get a higher end machine. (To go along with the Car analogy, I'd put Powermatic in the "Cadillac" category - Relatively affordable luxury - and Jet in the Ford/Chevy/Dodge category - Basic workingman's lathe..)
Actually now going to look at their website, OneWay's pricing is only a little more than Powermatic! Wow, I'd definitely get a OneWay if I could have afforded to get a powermatic, I'd have saved a little longer and gotten a OneWay, IMHO. - their 1640 would be a perfect fit for me......

Don't know why they don't seem to come with that Cage thingy that Powermatic has, but then again. How many powermatic owners actually make use or keep that "Cage Thingy" on theirs, anyway? Most shop photos I have seen in these forums, the thing is gone from most every powermatic I have seen pictured.....

The safety cage in an OSHA requirement, and probably an educational use requirement. Easier for them to sell it with every lathe than to defend injury lawsuits for not providing it.

Quite the opposite story, but for me also in the "vaporware" category, is my dream lathe, going back nearly 30 years to the first photos of them I ever saw in various British GMC turning books. Quirks and all, I didn't care, to me this was, and still is, the most visually attractive piece of machinery I could ever hope to own, even if it was just kept as artwork in my shop. I don't know how many of them came to the US (not many, I think), but I'll likely never see one in person. The Union Graduate shortbed lathe. Sigh... be still, my aching heart...

View attachment 60363
They had one of those where I used to work. New 3 phase motor and inverter fitted to it to make it user friendly.

I believe Powermatic may have stopped including the safety cage with their lathes. I recently purchased a PM 2014 and it came without a cage.

It's hard to find a company to ship 1 1/4" threaded accessories to the UK?
You can get 1 1/4” stuff over here but M33 x 3.5mm has, as I mentioned earlier become something of a standard fitting in the UK. All my chucks are M33 so I wouldn’t want a lathe with anything else.

How many powermatic owners actually make use or keep that "Cage Thingy" on theirs, anyway? Most shop photos I have seen in these forums, the thing is gone from most every powermatic I have seen pictured.....
I stored that "cage thingy" for 10-12yrs, then moved it a thousand miles with me, again stored it for a few years and then finally threw it away. I've never seen one on a lathe 'in the wild.'

The safety cage in an OSHA requirement, and probably an educational use requirement. Easier for them to sell it with every lathe than to defend injury lawsuits for not providing it.

I didn't think they had or sold those safety shields anymore.

Here's a CL listing from the JPW scratch and dent liquidation store south of Seattle showing a lathe with the guard. Notice the price is $2K below list. The location is an easy day round trip from the Portland symposium.

So if I understand correctly, the problem is just you.
No not really. As I’ve said, M33 x 3.5mm is now largely the standard in the UK, and also Europe. This is nothing new. Powermatic obviously recognised this as they supplied their lathes with this spindle size to Axminster Tools when they sold them over here. I would guess that 90% of chucks and faceplates sold in the UK are M33 x 3.5mm. I would not wish to replace all my M33 tooling with something less common. I’m guessing Powermatic aren’t too bothered by the European market, which is fine. I understand that. They are an expensive option over here. Having said that you can get OneWay and Robust lathes in M33. This is part of an old Axminster flyer from a few years ago. ;)

IMG_9156.jpeg

If money wasn't an issue, then you could purchase your dream lathe, pull the spindle shaft out, take it to a machine shop, then get them to manufacture a replica with the appropriate thread, easy as anything to get done. Or another possibility is to enquire with the manufacturer for a, correct for you, spindle shaft.

The one feature of my Revo Laguna 2436 lathe I'm not super impressed with, is the spindle shaft. Nothing wrong with it at all, but I have used quite a few Vicmarc lathes and one safety feature they all have, is missing on my 2436 lathe spindle. The one safety feature missing is the safety collar which locks any Vicmarc chuck onto a Vicmarc spindle, allowing heavy stuff to be safely contained on the spindle/chuck as it is impossible to unwind. In reverse mode the chuck cannot unwind, either as a straight chuck, or a chuck with a Vicmarc insert, or a Vicmarc faceplate.

The spindle shafts of virtually all lathes, are easily changeable or replaceable. Below is the spindle shaft out of my, at the time, new 2436 lathe. The bearing on the chuck end was overheating from the get go, so a simple replacement set of bearings was done, took about an hour and a half to replace the bearings and have the lathe back up and running.

2436_Tempered_Spindle_Thread_P1040299_web.jpg

I’m told Safety collars have been around for a while (in Europe) We are well served when it comes to chucks in the UK. Axminster and Record Power chucks are popular but it wasn’t until last year that Axminster introduced an ASR Eurolock compatible chuck. As far as I’m aware RP still don’t make one. Nova also introduced a Eurolock chuck last year. Axminster only recently started selling a Lathe with this fitting though. The ASR Eurolock is M33 x 3.5mm.

IMG_9158.jpeg

IMG_9159.jpeg

Having a new spindle made looks like quite an expensive operation. This video is in two parts.

View: https://youtu.be/AnW3kwScVSw?si=Q2kem681WLoB5V-9

View attachment 60363
There was a Graduate just like that for sale on Kijiji in Canada for a long while, but the ad seems to have disappeared. Maybe if you look on the Wayback machine, might still be out there, I don't think anyone bought it but might be wrong. Still shows up on Google searches, but the ad itself is gone.

There was a Graduate just like that for sale on Kijiji in Canada for a long while, but the ad seems to have disappeared. Maybe if you look on the Wayback machine, might still be out there, I don't think anyone bought it but might be wrong. Still shows up on Google searches, but the ad itself is gone.
@Steve Tiedman there is a Union Graduate for sale in Onatario. May be too far to go, of course. Graduate

Wow! Thanks Adrian, but I think there is too much there for me to buy, and getting it home to Minnesota may be more of a challenge than I'm up for. The grinder and most of the chuck hardware are things I wouldn't need, and I bet the seller wants to see it all go as one sale. But the machine itself looks like a real winner, esp. with the motor upgrade. And it's a nice idea to increase it's height up on that stand, probably concrete filled. The Oneway banjo is a nice touch, too. Tempting!

Where was this 20 years ago? (Probably being lovingly used!)

Those Union Graduate shortbeds are a beautiful design but I have never understood the thinking behind the pivoting tailstock. Would be good for multi-axis projects I guess.

If I did have one to operate, I'd be asking the same question.

View attachment 60363
I had one of these with only the outboard table. It came up for sale an hour from home in Maryland. I sold it to my friend who is currently refurbishing it. I tried to get a short bed at auction 3 hours from home but the price was more than I wanted to bid. I regret not bidding higher. Like yourself, I have lusted for the same machine for years. Maybe someday....

Back