• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

I probably did something wrong here

I had a large white oak taken down last month. I saved one of the logs to make large bowls. I roughed out 3 so far. After turning, I put each one in a large paper bag. The ones made for yard cleanup. I think they are 3 ply’s of paper.

Stored in basement stacked on top of each other. About 70 deg and 60% rh.

After 3 weeks, the bags still feel damp. I opened them up to see how it’s going, and this is what I found.

Before I rough out any more I’d like to find a way to get better results.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0113.jpeg
    IMG_0113.jpeg
    416.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0114.jpeg
    IMG_0114.jpeg
    297.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0115.jpeg
    IMG_0115.jpeg
    439.3 KB · Views: 91

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I had a large white oak taken down last month. I saved one of the logs to make large bowls. I roughed out 3 so far. After turning, I put each one in a large paper bag. The ones made for yard cleanup. I think they are 3 ply’s of paper.

Stored in basement stacked on top of each other. About 70 deg and 60% rh.

After 3 weeks, the bags still feel damp. I opened them up to see how it’s going, and this is what I found.

Before I rough out any more I’d like to find a way to get better results.

Thanks

Hard to see everything. Be sure to keep the paper bags in a low air circulation space.
Paper bags in front of an air duct etc will dry too quickly.

White Oak, has a high shrinkage rate. Average reported shrinkage values are 5.6% radial, 10.5% tangential, 16.3% volumetric.
So dry it sloooowwwwly. Might use sealer which dries slower than paper bags by a couple months.
White oak shrinks about 30% more than Red maple (Shrinkage: Radial: 4.0%, Tangential: 8.2%,. Volumetric: 12.6%)

One thing I do differently is the bottom thickness. My Even wall thickness includes the tenon.
I check the thickness with calipers. At the bottom i measure between the jaws - tenon face to inside bottom.
I want this about the same or less than the side wall thickness.
If you have balanced grain the bottom doesn’t warp much but it does have to let the side walls close in
I would cut similar to the red line.
IMG_0145.jpeg

Last edited:
This helps a lot. I had made some bad assumptions about both thickness and the wood.

Next one bottom thinner than sides. I need to decide how to slow drying. I hate the idea of using a sealer or wax because of the cost and mess. I may try the wet shavings in a box method. Gets moldy, but dries super slow.

I hate the idea of using a sealer or wax because of the cost and mess.
I'm with you on this but what I found that I hated even worse was to waste all of the effort to get a bowl blanked out and have it split into firewood. I eventually accepted defeat and went with the sealing method and all was right with seasoning bowl blanks.
Our club got some sealant with green food coloring and I really like it. Any spot of green left during turning meant that there was a wax splotch that I clearly needed to turn off.

1          bowlshrink - 1.jpg

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
This helps a lot. I had made some bad assumptions about both thickness and the wood.

Next one bottom thinner than sides. I need to decide how to slow drying. I hate the idea of using a sealer or wax because of the cost and mess. I may try the wet shavings in a box method. Gets moldy, but dries super slow.
I personally use paper bags. But if they aren’t working for you, sealer will dry them more slowly.

You might get acceptable results with thinner bottoms.

You might also consider boiling if you have a large stainless steel or aluminum pot.
I’ve never boiled wood but those who do report less cracking
There are lots of threads and other info on boiling.
And iron kettle will turn your oak black.

Whenever I used shavings it became a mold factory.

I have 18 white oak I'm working on right now. Never did any rough turned oak before. I gotta say you aren't helping my confidence level! Although I have been coating them with sealer and then some saran wrap on a stick loosely. Mostly just to keep the mess down until the sealer dries some.

I'm hoping my saving grace is the fact that the tree blew over 3 months ago so less sap and a hardwood lumber guy said that it was half dead and the trunk was probably hollow when he looked at the chunk of limb (14" diameter) I brought him to identify for me.

Well, for me, this is a 'welcome to the world of white oak turning' situation. Only done oak a few times, and had that problem with my once turned bowls. Not the easiest wood to dry without cracking.

robo hippy

I was under the impression that white oak was much easier than red. So much for that. I like the idea of due to make it easier to see sealer.

I don’t turn oak so I can’t comment on that. I have lost bowls using the paper bag method. Now I rough turn, wax inside and out and set them on a shelf for a year and they are ready to finish turn. I haven’t lost a bowl yet doing it that way. A year seems like a long time but goes faster than you think. Around half of the bowls on this shelf are ready to finish turn.013B1F84-52CE-4846-BCE4-C24C36700AC1.jpeg

I don’t turn oak so I can’t comment on that. I have lost bowls using the paper bag method. Now I rough turn, wax inside and out and set them on a shelf for a year and they are ready to finish turn. I haven’t lost a bowl yet doing it that way. A year seems like a long time but goes faster than you think. Around half of the bowls on this shelf are ready to finish turn.View attachment 52764
I smell a ready to turn shelf pics thread!

My goal is to get a couple dozen on the shelf drying. I have 3 now, all elm which doesn’t seem to crack no matter what I do. Interlocking grain and came down in dead of winter.

Back