• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Inertia sander

Has anyone had a chance to try the inertia sander from woodturnerswonders.com?
I’m trying to choose between it or one from the sanding glove.
Any recommendations?

I had the Sorby, no weight, sometimes bouncy, after awhile, just quit using it.
I have used Vince's version, nice heft, feels good in the hands, a well made tool.

I own the Turbo wonder inertia sander from Wood Turners Wonders. It works very well and very well made. I have not tried the inertia sander from the Sanding Glove so cannot provide a comparison. Although I see that the Wood Turners Wonders sander is $10.00 less expensive.

I have the Turner Turbo Wonder inertia sander ... does a fine job, and is easy to re-orient to get into bowls.

Jerry Bochenek you and GRJensen must have gotten in on the first batch of sanders.
I just got off the phone with Ken at Woodturners Wonders. He told me that there is a problem of not being able to tighten the joints on the latest batch.
I think I’ll give Vince’s a try.
Thanks for the responses

Jerry Bochenek you and GRJensen must have gotten in on the first batch of sanders.
I just got off the phone with Ken at Woodturners Wonders. He told me that there is a problem of not being able to tighten the joints on the latest batch.
I think I’ll give Vince’s a try.
Thanks for the responses
I bought mine at the Ohio Valley symposium in 2019. Ken is an honest businessman ... a lot of people wouldn't tell a prospective customer of a problem with a product they were considering.

I bought mine at the Ohio Valley symposium in 2019. Ken is an honest businessman ... a lot of people wouldn't tell a prospective customer of a problem with a product they were considering.
Yep. Can’t argue with you. He was very straight up. I do have another of his CBN wheels and some CBN slips ordered!

I have the one from the sanding glove. It is a class a sander. I love the handle and the extention. Very smooth with the ceramic bearing

I guess they do work, but I never even tried one. I went straight to power sanding. Main reason was that I couldn't stop the lathe and work on problem spots, and there are still problem spots. Also, since all of my bowls are warped, they would not work well. I have seen a number of 'frugal' DIY versions.

robo hippy

I pretty much use inertia sanders as my go to sanders as I find the finish is hard to beat. OK in the centre of the bowl or vessel its a challenge but I use a larger dia pad there and while drive is somewhat compromised by working across the centre. A larger dia will do it ok , my standard dia is 40-50mm and i go up to 60-70mm. If you're a bit handy they not hard to make out of skate wheels and the like

I like mine because you can angle the two joints to sand the underside of the interior of a hollow form as long as you can get it through the hole. Its a pretty sturdy rig. I also have a a Woodturners Wonder power sander that failed on me and I removed the guts just leaving the chuck assembly in place and its pretty handy for general sanding too.

I was just thinking I needed one of these recently, for deeper vases that I cant access with a power sander, but these all seem to have shorter handles than I would like, anyone ever make their own? (other than using a air/power tool unplugged)

I was just thinking I needed one of these recently, for deeper vases that I cant access with a power sander, but these all seem to have shorter handles than I would like, anyone ever make their own? (other than using a air/power tool unplugged)
I make all my own and they are specifically design for internal sanding

Attachments

• IMG_2912.JPG
    IMG_2912.JPG
    380.2 KB · Views: 41
How long would you need? The sander from woodturners wonders has a 12” handle that could probably be extended with a pvc pipe as a sleeve.C97ED8A2-51FD-4158-90A4-53EB52F3ABE5.jpeg

How long would you need? The sander from woodturners wonders has a 12” handle that could probably be extended with a pvc pipe as a sleeve.View attachment 47005
Thanks Gary, I would probably want it a couple of feet long, to reach into a deep vase, and have some handle left. I have been browsing YOUTUBE since my last post and there are a lot of ideas on homemade inertia sanders. It's now on my to-do list, .... using some skate bearings

Back