• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Instant Gallery Video?

So when might we see the 2012 symposium videos show up for sale on the website. I've been waiting to hear my instant gallery critique for soooooo Looooonggggg. Guess that's what happens when you volunteer for that time slot and never dream you'll have a piece chosen:D Plus i'm just begging to pay for the privilege:rolleyes: ... I should not still be waiting on this stuff two months before the next years symposium!!!!!!!:(

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Lou,

There were no videos made in San Jose.

November 2011 the board minutes show
"Symposium DVD sales have been unprofitable and the Board agreed to discontinue their production."

Even if the board had wanted to continue the videos, it would have been very expensive to do them in San Jose.

It is too bad you didn't get to see the IG live or in video.

Solution: bring your best to Tampa....

Al

Last edited:
Well, I'm in good company since Dean Adkins was the one who mentioned the symposium DVD as a way I could see it since I had volunteered for that section of time. It's not too bad I didn't get to see it: it was a choice, and the youth room was a higher priority and a Prior Commitment. Guess you better hope the best and brightest aren't volunteering that particular hour+ this year. Most of your volunteer hours are committed to before those stickers go out...
I was floored to have a piece chosen the very first time I ever put something in an instant gallery. Lightning, you know, I don't expect seconds.
So I guess now I get to ask if anybody happened to make a recording on their personal device and can I pay to get a copy.
BTW Your solution sucks but I might have appreciated a nod that you appreciated the volunteer time and commitment. Instead you are just another jerk too busy quoting your rules and factoids and minutia. And that is why you personally and a few others who remain nameless are driving folks from actively engaging in the discussions here. I just got a personal invite yesterday from a friend to join a new forum...might be time.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Well, I'm in good company since Dean Adkins was the one who mentioned the symposium DVD as a way I could see it since I had volunteered for that section of time. It's not too bad I didn't get to see it: it was a choice, and the youth room was a higher priority and a Prior Commitment. Guess you better hope the best and brightest aren't volunteering that particular hour+ this year. Most of your volunteer hours are committed to before those stickers go out...
I was floored to have a piece chosen the very first time I ever put something in an instant gallery. Lightning, you know, I don't expect seconds.
So I guess now I get to ask if anybody happened to make a recording on their personal device and can I pay to get a copy.
BTW Your solution sucks but I might have appreciated a nod that you appreciated the volunteer time and commitment. Instead you are just another jerk too busy quoting your rules and factoids and minutia. And that is why you personally and a few others who remain nameless are driving folks from actively engaging in the discussions here. I just got a personal invite yesterday from a friend to join a new forum...might be time.

Lou,
I appreciate the volunteer work you did.
I certainly should have recognized it. Sorry I got too focused on one question in your post.

Going to Tampa. Your work has obviously reached a level of excellence.
I suspect it will continue to get recognition. Lightning does strike twice.

The AAW is a members organization. Folks like you make it run.
Volunteering in the youth room is extra special because the youth volunteers work during a rotation actually paying part of their registration to volunteer.

I'm just another volunteer like yourself, I certainly appreciate a nod now and then.
I should have focused on your contribution.
Thanks,
Al

Lou,
How about posting a photo of your piece on the Forum for a Forum critique? I only attended part of the San Jose IG critique and also missed the discussion of your piece. Also, send me a high-resolution image! (editorscarpino@gmail.com) I'll try to get it into the journal's Members' Gallery section.

Betty Scarpino, editor, AW

Oops, Al, didn't know about the paying part of youth room, I didn't volunteer til I got to San Jose to see what spots needed filling at the last minute to help out my friends Dean, Bill and David from the local clubs. My friend Jim Adkins (yep, Dean's Dad) suggested the youth room. Ignorance runneth rampant in this Newbie! Would not trade it! And don't want the discount! Because of that experience, I've got four youngsters from my extended family turning- a shout out to the Lafayette LA club that are doing the hands on for Ty and Clay-just planting those seeds..... My two nephews in Houston are fortunate that Dad is rediscovering the lathe and my Sis is taking it up too. The oldest will be attending Tampa with me as a youth program participant.
But I think I'll stick to the "Where do you need help" in the last 30 minutes before the booth closes before the kickoff-it'll be a surprise! And it worked out well.
Betty-
Okay, next week, got a booth in our local craft show this weekend- it generated some interest last fall, with my shop now local no telling who will come by and take an interest in turning:)

Back