• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Is there an appropriate place to post a link for a class I'll be teaching?

Kalia - is it a remote class? Sebastopol is a long haul south for me. I believe getting word out about educational opportunities is acceptable…but I’m not a moderator here.

I did not see the commercial message rule in the code of conduct, but I know we avoid linking to specific products. I think you did it the right way by sharing about the class and that there is a fee. Full disclosure is the proper approach. Especially when a member like you, who adds value to this community, shares about an educational opportunity.

I'd love to hear from a moderator before I make the post.
There didn't seem to be a way to contact the mods directly so I was hoping one would chime in here. Once I know the rules around this, all the details will be revealed :>)

Just click the report button under your first message. That sends a message direct to them. You can also tag the mods in your message.
Thank you. Since I don't know who the moderators are, it's hard to tag them, but I did try the "report" feature :>)
[and after originally sending this I found evidence the Bill Boehme is still active as a mod, so have sent him a direct message]

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I'd love to get the word about the class to turners outside my own area, but think commercial announcements are discouraged here. If there's a space within the forums where it's ok to post about paid classes, I'd be grateful if someone could point me to it.
Thanks,
Kalia
@Bill Boehme is a moderator. Also @Emiliano Achaval @RichColvin
Look under ->members ->Staff.
Have fun with your class. Word of mouth to local area clubs works well
The forum doesn’t reach a large audience.

Too late for this class but if you plan to do a lot of classes look into a small journal add. You will see about a dozen of the small Addams for classes.

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Just click the report button under your first message. That sends a message direct to them. You can also tag the mods in your message.

Please do not use the report feature to ask a question. It should only be used to report problems that require the immediate attention of the administrators/moderators. This would include reporting spamming, advertising, uncivil behavior, and posting other inappropriate content.
I'd love to get the word about the class to turners outside my own area, but think commercial announcements are discouraged here. If there's a space within the forums where it's ok to post about paid classes, I'd be grateful if someone could point me to it.
Thanks,
Kalia

Kalia, unfortunately, the forum doesn't allow threads that are started to advertise a product or announce a non-AAW event such as craft school class offerings. AAW events are normally announced by staff members or volunteer workers. On the other hand, if someone asks other forum members for their opinions or recommendations about a product or service (for example: what lathe should I buy), then it is standard practice for forum members to give their opinions and recommendations.

Please do not use the report feature to ask a question. It should only be used to report problems that require the immediate attention of the administrators/moderators. This would include reporting spamming, advertising, uncivil behavior, and posting other inappropriate content.

Kalia, unfortunately, the forum doesn't allow threads that are started to advertise a product or announce a non-AAW event such as craft school class offerings. AAW events are normally announced by staff members or volunteer workers. On the other hand, if someone asks other forum members for their opinions or recommendations about a product or service (for example: what lathe should I buy), then it is standard practice for forum members to give their opinions and recommendations.
Thank you, Bill. That's why I wanted to get a clear answer before posting it. It took a bit of hunting to find a way to get the question to you, though, since it's not clear exactly who the moderators for the forums are. You showed up as answering a lot of the FAQ questions, though a lot of those exchanges are years old so I wasn't sure you were still doing it, and I had a memory that Emiliano did that as well, but if there are other moderators I have no idea who they are. Perhaps you could include an "Ask a moderator" button somewhere visible at the top of the forums...?

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
since it's not clear exactly who the moderators for the forums are.

Sometimes, I too have wondered about that. :D

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNbBDrceCy8

Emiliano Achaval and I are the Administrator/Moderators. We take care of the normal day-to-day business.
Chris Fairbanks is our IT/Administrator. He keeps the forum software up to snuff and addresses technical issues such as security vulnerabilities to keep the hackers away.
RichColvin is the moderator and resident expert on the Ornamental Turning forum.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Thank you, Bill. That's why I wanted to get a clear answer before posting it. It took a bit of hunting to find a way to get the question to you, though, since it's not clear exactly who the moderators for the forums are. You showed up as answering a lot of the FAQ questions, though a lot of those exchanges are years old so I wasn't sure you were still doing it, and I had a memory that Emiliano did that as well, but if there are other moderators I have no idea who they are. Perhaps you could include an "Ask a moderator" button somewhere visible at the top of the forums...?

Here is a breadcrumb path that you can get to from the forum Home page: Members > Staff.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I answered Kalia privately. In this case, the school should have done the advertising to make sure her classes are full. It is in the rules, you might have to dig a little but it is there. I congratulated her on this great achievement and wished her the best of luck!!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Would it be appropriate to list something like Kalia’s class or other service in the “For Sale” section?

No. Commercial advertising is not allowed. The forum Marketplace is only for person to person selling preowned equipment. In addition to that, we don’t allow selling wood or turned wood art.

Back