• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Is this big enough?

I would surmise that that piece of timber is somewhere around 2100mm in diameter, which is right up there.

No wonder he's scraping, wouldn't want a catch with the kinetic energy waiting to escape.

It would take me a lifetime to sand that thing.

He has no face/head protection. I guess it wouldn’t help a bit if that giant bowl hit you, so he didn’t bother.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I don't understand the mentality of those who do this. I guess it's the same as those who do really dumb things, and spend great amounts of $$$$...... just so they can be in the Guinness book of world records. :)

-o-

Big 14%20foot%20bowl[1].jpgBig%20Turning[1].jpg

I apologize for the formatting.
I have been a believer that large pieces have more "presence" than small works - my market has been people with large homes and lot's of disposable income.
I get a "kick" from completing a large piece and a second kick when it finds a home.IMG_0879.jpgIMG_0881.jpg
I didn't realize it at the time but Planet Mesquite pushed me into the concept of Public Space. Home or office sales are generally decided by an individual or husband/wife. Public space piece decisions are by committee. My advice would be: If you do a piece for a committee..."get the money up front"
I was lucky - Planet Mesquite was sold through the gallery to an individual. Only took four years.

Yikes! That's a quarter million dollar piano upon which your wonderful turning is gazing.

What does NIP mean? I'm 77yo and not up on the latest.
And yes it did take a lot of sanding and a lot more filling. The finish is an automotive clearcoat used on show cars/bikes - it requires a flawless surface. The surface is prepared with lots of filling, sanding, barrier coating, sealer, and lots of sanding between each.
That's a Ravenscroft concert grand - cost a bit over your estimate. And they go north from there: special orders have a sound-board from the same patch of woods that some guy named Stradivarius made a few fiddles

Website
www.ovwg.org
What does NIP mean? I'm 77yo and not up on the latest.
And yes it did take a lot of sanding and a lot more filling. The finish is an automotive clearcoat used on show cars/bikes - it requires a flawless surface. The surface is prepared with lots of filling, sanding, barrier coating, sealer, and lots of sanding between each.
That's a Ravenscroft concert grand - cost a bit over your estimate. And they go north from there: special orders have a sound-board from the same patch of woods that some guy named Stradivarius made a few fiddles
Norfolk Island Pine. It is a wood that commonly has knots it it when turned.

Back