• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Is this blank going to come apart?

I'm looking to make a first bowl, attempting something small as, maybe, a shaving bowl. I thought I might start with this little piece of air-dried wood (first image, IMG_4481). It's about 5" long, 4-1/4" wide and 2-1/4" deep. What bothers me are the cracks I can see around the outer edge, many of which run end-to-end. See the two colored arrows in the other three images--they show two of the cracks, with the red indicating one and the green the other.

Should I burn this blank, because those cracks mean it'll come apart when I get the walls thin enough?

Attachments

• IMG_4481.JPG
    IMG_4481.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4482.JPG
    IMG_4482.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_4483.JPG
    IMG_4483.JPG
    319.7 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4484.JPG
    IMG_4484.JPG
    164.4 KB · Views: 57
Impossible to say with any certainty. I would turn it after:
Run thin CA glue in all of the cracks and let it dry overnight. Be generous.
Take it really easy with light cuts. Looks like some of the cracks might get turned away.

What kind of wood is it?

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
A piece that small, I wouldn't have a big fear of turning it, BUT!

- If this will be your first ever bowl, I wouldn't recommend trying it at this point - You'll want some little bit of experience and practice with a nice solid stable piece , otherwise, you're likely to experience "overload" - What with trying to focus on learning how to turn a bowl, your cuts, your gouges, your technique, it would all be relatively new to you, and then adding on top of that the need to be fully aware of what is happening with the wood itself (I.E. listening/feeling for things going wrong - vibration, chatter, and more - things that you sometimes can only learn from practice on a good solid piece and knowing what THAT sounds or feels like, then when you're working with unstable wood, you got a sense of "something's wrong - for sure" as opposed to "Is something I should maybe worry about?" )

IMHO, it looks like a decent piece of spalted maple with some possible defects that likely may be turned away with care, so you might stick it on a shelf for a while, and find some more solid and stable pieces to work with (Perhaps a chunk of a 4x4 or 6x6 post, if nothing else readily available) until you are more comfortable with bowl turning in general...

Impossible to say with any certainty. I would turn it after:
Run thin CA glue in all of the cracks and let it dry overnight. Be generous.
Take it really easy with light cuts. Looks like some of the cracks might get turned away.

What kind of wood is it?

Thanks, Monty. I'm not really sure what wood this is--the guy I got it from thought it was maple, and I don't know enough to confirm or decide it's something else.

A piece that small, I wouldn't have a big fear of turning it, BUT!

- If this will be your first ever bowl, I wouldn't recommend trying it at this point - You'll want some little bit of experience and practice with a nice solid stable piece , otherwise, you're likely to experience "overload" - What with trying to focus on learning how to turn a bowl, your cuts, your gouges, your technique, it would all be relatively new to you, and then adding on top of that the need to be fully aware of what is happening with the wood itself (I.E. listening/feeling for things going wrong - vibration, chatter, and more - things that you sometimes can only learn from practice on a good solid piece and knowing what THAT sounds or feels like, then when you're working with unstable wood, you got a sense of "something's wrong - for sure" as opposed to "Is something I should maybe worry about?" )

IMHO, it looks like a decent piece of spalted maple with some possible defects that likely may be turned away with care, so you might stick it on a shelf for a while, and find some more solid and stable pieces to work with (Perhaps a chunk of a 4x4 or 6x6 post, if nothing else readily available) until you are more comfortable with bowl turning in general...
I believe you, Brian. I've got some cherry and oak that's larger (less stress that I'll mess up my tool banging them on each other) and more stable. I'll work with some of that wood first.

I am one of those who will turn away all of the cracks. So, for that piece, I would get a shallow bowl out of it, or maybe a deep platter. The thing with cracks is I figure they will fail eventually, no matter what you do with them, and I don't want cracks in my every day use bowls. People who buy them always find the cracks, and if there is an uncracked one on the shelf, they always buy that one.

robo hippy

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I'm looking to make a first bowl, attempting something small as, maybe, a shaving bowl.

there is no guarantee on how deep the cracks go or how structurally sound the wood is.
it could be punky and fall apart.

the radial cracks likely go deeper than the dark lines you see.
you Can sketch your shapes on the end of the log to visualize what you can turn from it.

bowl centered on the grain4EB89680-6DCC-4DF5-9272-752D878D6E96.jpeg it’s going to have cracks that go through the wall but if the wood is sound the bowl will hold together. Just won’t hold soup.

natural edge bowl80F9BA04-2375-4155-A0EA-42D80D7540DD.jpeg this Shows the cross section of the lower rim the end of the log is the high rim with a crack in the middle. You could cut off the top and maybe have a crack free cut rim bowl

Go for a shallow bowl with the grain off center FFBDE17A-E9D1-4111-87A4-FDDD318460AB.jpeg to me grain this off center is unappealing 90% of the time. But sometimes it is gorgeous.

this is my solution for high quality wood with cracks45B950DC-41E6-44ED-984C-803D4CB87FE2.jpeg I would bandsaw three spindle blanks and dry them. the larger can be spheres, boxes, tops, pepper mill…..
if it is a harder wood the larger could be a gavel head and the small one the gavel handle

Last edited:
Back