• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Is tree trunks that fell in a storm ok to turn?

I read that trees that have experienced Wind Shake should not / can not be used for woodworking or turning.

As I sit here watching the local news the first story is about how today's storms brought down many trees. Is the structure of a tree trunk damaged if it falls during a storm? I am not talking about trees with rotten trunks.

Roger Wiegand

Beta Tester
Website
www.carouselorgan.com
Almost all trees that turn into lumber or turning blanks fall at the ends of their lives-- it's only the fortunate few who get craned gently down to the ground. I don't think it's likely that final fall that causes "wind shakes", but rather bending stresses throughout the life of the tree. I've really only ever had one tree that had bad splits that I would describe as wind shakes, so I don't think it's a big problem We don't generally get trees that have been whipped around by hurricanes here. (Or tornados-- used to like in St. Louis!)

It is true that logs with wind/ring/heart shake can be dangerous, but not every tree that comes down in a storm suffers wind shake damage. You just have to inspect the log thoroughly and proceed with extreme caution.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Usually wood felled by wind or ice is high quality turning wood.
if the wood underwent violent twisting sections of the trunk or large limbs will often have many splits to avoid.
a tree that snaps off will have Torn grain to avoid.
be on the watch for wind shakes as mentioned above
if a tree blew over because the roots did not hold the wood will usually be in great shape.

lastly - many trees that come down in storms had pre- existing conditions.
whatever defects/ features were in the unhealthy tree will still be there.

That brings up another question: Does the term "wind shake" refer to a one time event that damaged a tree, or does it refer to a series of events that occur whilst the tree is growing?

Ring shake is more common in some species than others. Sycamore is particularly prone to it, but not necessarily as a function of falling.

Living in the PNW, I am used to a lot of trees coming down in storms simply due to the ground underneath them having become super saturated and liquefying. Mudslides, "high" winds (like 60mph, not hurricane stuff here) and the like can take a tree down right quick once the roots dont really have much grip on anything anymore.

In other words, I'd fully expect it varies from tree to tree. Have a look, and if it looks good cut it up. If it still looks good, make blanks out of it!

There are some knowledgeable folks who say ring shake is actually a disease/infection rather than mechanical. Probably there are multiple reasons for it to occur. In any case, spring storms are the woodturner's friend. Harvest away, just check carefully. If ring shake is present, you can cut to length and separate the wood into the cylindrical inner section and the rim section. Both can be used, if there's enough sound wood.

For me, if the tree falls because it is broken apart, then probably best used for fire wood. Those fractures can run the whole length of the tree. If the tree blows over because the root system pulled up, then the wood can be sound. Not always, but only way to know for sure is to cut, then look and see. I am highly suspicious of any thing that doesn't look 'right' in any piece of wood I turn, and ALWAYS stand out of the line of fire. Many urban trees tend to grow way too fast and spread out too far because they are not in a forest. This means that eventually they start to fall apart. Silver maple is one of these. If a branch falls off, it can be good, but the trunk maybe not so good. Again, cut it up and look and see....

robo hippy

Back