• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Isaac Litster

My name is Isaac Litster, I am an upperclassman in High School. I live in Southeast Alaska on a small temperate rainforest island. I started turning 3 years ago in my high school shop on a Powermatic 3520b sometimes and usually a non-variable-speed 10 x 18 Jet, usually. Since then I convinced my dad to buy a secondhand Craftsman from the 80s for $200, and now we both turn and have bought another secondhand lathe, a Harbor Freight 10 x 18 also for $200. I turn everything that I can, though I don't have any hollowing tools. I enjoy smaller items on the more functional lathe that we have at home, the Harbor Freight, such as rings, tops, boxes, forks/spoons, spheres, and goblets. An old woodturner who has collected exotic woods for dozens of years is now too old to turn and has given the small number of turners on the island some nice wood, including the high school shop. Considering that, I have been turning some bowls at school with the nice variable speed, size, and power of the 3520. I am interested in turning anything. For my whole life, I have been interested in art, and I have been fortunate to be able to try and develop skills and interests in pottery, drawing, painting, sculpting, welding, and cabnitery. Now I think I have found something I can stick with, and that is turning. Sorry about the poor image quality, my computer has a bad camera. SE AK has few native hardwoods and those that are rare, soft, and/or small. Some of the woods for the bowls included in the picture, because you can't tell, are red alder, Yellow Cedar, Mountain Ash/Rowan, and for the foreign woods, maple, walnut, poplar, mahogany, and some unknowns. IMG_20240201_201310.jpg

Looks great! I also use the little harbor freight lathe at home, it's not the fanciest but it usually gets the job done(at least for smaller items).

Welcome to the forum. Looks like you like to turn bowls , nice work.
Bowls are fun, but unfortunately, I can only turn them at school because of the lathe there. I have turned more rings than bowls, and the same for tops, but those are harder to see because they are smaller. I am still figuring out what I like to turn the most, and I have experimented with everything I can think of (given my tool and wood access).

Website
www.ovwg.org
Hey Isaac! That is great you are starting so young! I am 20 years old now and stared when I was 16! It sounds like you are around that age. Your work looks great! Keep turning and always have it as a enjoyable hobby for the rest of your life!

I see you now have a healthy (or unhealthy?) addiction! For variety, start adding flair or additional details to your turnings. Borrow ideas from the other arts you have learned. Consider mixing in additional materials like shell inlay. The alder might become your staple wood since it is probably the hardest of the varieties locally growing in SE, though bland. It takes color well.
The small turnings are great for selling to the ferry and cruise ship tourists since turnings are easily transportable. Could turn into a profitable activity for you or a way to earn $ toward a nicer lathe and tools. Best of all, you can do it when it is raining outside (I lived in Juneau for awhile so I know about the rain). Hope you continue to enjoy turning.

I see you now have a healthy (or unhealthy?) addiction! For variety, start adding flair or additional details to your turnings. Borrow ideas from the other arts you have learned. Consider mixing in additional materials like shell inlay. The alder might become your staple wood since it is probably the hardest of the varieties locally growing in SE, though bland. It takes color well.
The small turnings are great for selling to the ferry and cruise ship tourists since turnings are easily transportable. Could turn into a profitable activity for you or a way to earn $ toward a nicer lathe and tools. Best of all, you can do it when it is raining outside (I lived in Juneau for awhile so I know about the rain). Hope you continue to enjoy turning.
Thanks for the suggestions, I have been experimenting with spalted/rotten alder for a change, and my dad just tried staining alder, but the color might be interesting! There are a couple of festivals every year and they attract big-pocketed tourists, so if I got very serious and started making products to sell that would be very good for better lathes (my dad and I share) and tools, especially if I am going to move out soon. I love wood and trees, and the national forest is unique, but yeah, I can't stand the rain.

Our club found that small bowls with a magnet embedded in the bottom sold out both times we offered them. And color on wood sold well. And inlays. Have fun!

Back