• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

James McCarthy

I have been doing woodworking for the past 8 years but I am new to turning. I live in the desert (Phoenix/Peoria) which is great in the winter but in the summer the shop/garage reaches 110 F. or more so my stay time is limited! My Father-in-Law gave me all of his woodworking tools before he past away and included was a lathe attached to a bench. I took all of his tools, took them apart, clean them up and tuned them up. I also bought many more power tools but the lathe just sat there in the corner of the shop looking forlorn and lonely. I even thought of getting rid of it to make more room in the shop. And then it happened, I ran out of furniture making projects last October so I said, what the heck, let's see what I can do with it. And, to make a long story short I am now hook on turning. Don't now if I am good at it but my church asked me to make some wooden communion trays to hold the bread and juice. That brings up a question, can I use Max CLR (sounds like something out of the Simpsons, i.e. Max Power) FDA approved epoxy over dried Watco Cherry danish oil? Below is a picture of the communion tray sitting atop my homemade press. In addition, I am including a picture of my One-Way lathe; just turn it on and it spins only One-Way!

IMG_4599.jpg

IMG_4517.jpg

Jim McCarthy

Last edited by a moderator:
Back