• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Japanese Bowl Turning

I’d love to learn that lacquer technique. Her turning is some nice scraping, gets a great surface. Interesting that both this video and the other show cutting right of center with lathe reversed.

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
One of the women appearing in the beginning of the video, Eiko Tanaka, will be demonstrating for the AAW's Symposium this year in Portland, OR. And those hook tools are not scraping at all. They are cutting the wood, quite efficiently. I hope I get the chance to attend her rotations.

One of the women appearing in the beginning of the video, Eiko Tanaka, will be demonstrating for the AAW's Symposium this year in Portland, OR. And those hook tools are not scraping at all. They are cutting the wood, quite efficiently. I hope I get the chance to attend her rotations.
I could have sworn she used a right angle bent tool with a flat edge on the outside. Definitely all hook tool on the inside.

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
At about the 6 minute mark, she uses a sharpened saw blade ( old jig saw) that she turns into a shear scraper. She’s getting whisper thin shavings from that tool. Same with that right angled flat tool. It may appear she’s scraping, but the shavings she’s getting are from a very fine shearing cut.

I wish I could spend a month or six over there learning those techniques. Hook tools are not really appreciated over here.

robo hippy
Me too. I’d settle for a few days though or a week. From my perspective many of those tools make more sense than some western ones. They aren’t difficult to make either. I spent two and a half days on a Blacksmiths course many years ago and I’m confident I could make some. I might give it a try but it’s not easy getting seasoned end grain wood over here, 99% of it gets turned into boards no thicker than 4”.

Me too. I’d settle for a few days though or a week. From my perspective many of those tools make more sense than some western ones. They aren’t difficult to make either. I spent two and a half days on a Blacksmiths course many years ago and I’m confident I could make some. I might give it a try but it’s not easy getting seasoned end grain wood over here, 99% of it gets turned into boards no thicker than 4”.
It does not look like they are using preseasoned wood at the beginning of the video they are cutting discs off of a log then making the turning rounds, mounting them, roughing the inside and outside and putting them aside to dry. Notice the view of a distorted bowl with a true circle around it, which apparently is their method of showing the effects of drying. Yard trees or city trees usually are crooked and not suitable for sawing into lumber, but you don't need long straight logs for end grain bowls.
101_0391.JPG
This is an example that I did in red oak with the pith included and the one below also in oak without the pith. I used a ring tool, which is similar to a hook tool, on the inside and conventional gouges on the outside for the initial shaping then burred shear scrapers both inside and out.
B324.JPG
The real beauty of end grain bowl turning is the lack of tear out compared to side grain bowls since every cut can be pure shear. The biggest lesson from the video I think is the practice - practice - and more practice.

It does look like she is doing some scraping cuts for finish work. That saw blade almost looks like it is being applied as a NRS. Not sure. Kind of hard to tell, but it looks like some of the bowls are end grain, and some are side grain. Have to check it out in person....

robo hippy

Scrapers are definitely a big part of this type of turning. Both hooked gouges (like our traditional hook tools) and hooked scrapers are used, as well as hand scrapers. An important part of this style is the almost exclusive use of pivot cuts. Apart from using the hand scrapers almost no push cuts or pull cuts are used. This is facilitated by use of the floating tool rest (a very neat innovation). With a pivot cut one can extend the tool far over the rest and maintain very great control and precision of cut. Especially helpful when trying to create a flat surface on a plate or platter.

This video shows clear use of the hooked gouges, the hooked scrapers and the hand scraper:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_v2VFCDh0Y

Another neat feature of their lathes is the ability to almost instantly start, stop and reverse using foot pedals - very efficient.

all of them have such similar unusual technique—cutting in reverse, tools and hand far over toolrest, toolrest way above center, no face protection or respirators, and this last guy was cutting at 6 o’clock. It’s fascinating. Keep them coming.

Bet there’s a Japanese forum where there’s a thread on the funny or different (to them) things we do turning.

That piece that Steven linked to appears to be end grain. Scrapers work far better for getting clean surfaces with end grain than with side grain, which is how most of us turn bowls. With my boxes, I get surfaces that 400 grit roughs up rather than smooths out...

robo hippy

Back