• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jason Scott

Hi everyone. Accomplished woodworker trying my hand at turning. I picked up a small lathe at a price I could afford to see if it's something i'll enjoy doing, i'm hooked. I especially like all ways to justify spending lol. I can see i'll need a chuck already, along with better (or at least bigger) chisels. I did purchase a 1/2" boowl gouge, and the fella I bought the lathe from gave me a 5 piece set of mini turning chisels (way too small) so at least I have a starting point. Today I taught myself how to make the gouge catch when hollowing out a bowl, and I did that with no lessons lol.

The bowl is from a chunk of cherry that I cut from some of my 16/4 stock. I'm sure I will get better with more practice, but all in all i'm pleased with it. Hopfully the pic I tried to upload worked.

Attachments

• DSCI0094.jpg
    DSCI0094.jpg
    506.2 KB · Views: 63
  • DSCI0096.jpg
    DSCI0096.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
welcome

Welcome and nice work!

Just to echo others- joining a local turning group and even finding a mentor are easily the best ways to shorten the learning curve. I started out with Shopsmith and practiced regular catches (one sufficient to bend the spindle!) to the point I was going to give up. Luckily I got turned on the AAW and the locals all of who have proven to be wonderfully inclusive and supportive. Now a year later I turn with much more confidence and success and a much nicer lathe! Had I found this 40 years ago I'd never have had a real job!
Have fun
--pat

Back