• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jaws for Barricuda 4 chuck

Does anyone know if any jaw pieces (4) are available that might fit onto my Barricuda 4 (Penn State) chuck that would allow me to cut & 'grab' a 5~6" tenon? (Without having to just grab at the 'points'). Some jaws pieces and be similar.... I saw Mike Mahoney in Nashville last weekend... (he was great as usual). He enlightened me to his method of a wee (1/4") tenon on his larger pieces and I wish to try.. Any reply is appreciated! Happy Turning to all.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Definitely interested and following this... I have a barracuda as well, with 3 different jaw sets, but would love to find "larger" jaws (even if they were dovetail) Problem with the 'cuda jaws, they have this little indexing pin on one of the 4 to set them in correct order to the chuck, which makes me wonder if the jaws are actually custom cut and fit to each chuck individually , precluding any chance of interchanging jaws . I have Dovetail tommy bar chuck (off-brand, no clue what brand it is, no stamps on it) and those jaws do not fit the barracuda, so...

I dont know of other mfr jaws that will fit a ‘cuda. I have a ‘cuda 4 and used the #3 jaws to grip ~5” tenons. Usually made the tenon~3/8” tall since only the corners bite in. Its a secure grip, never lost a piece.

I have all 3 sizes of the ‘cuda chucks from when I first started turning. I wore out (rounded over) the tip of the chuck key and the receiver holes (wallowed out) in the chuck on a cuda 2. They always required a lot of effort to keep the chuck key in place while tightening. I moved on to Oneway stronghold and a Nova G3. No such issues with those. Got a great deal on the G3, but I wish it was a Oneway Talon, a better chuck with better jaw selection. I use #5 aluminum jaws in the stronghold for large tenons.

Back