• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jeff DeReus

I guess it’s about time to introduce myself after lurking for a very long time. I started turning to kill time when COVID hit in CA. I bought a little Nova 14DR to to learn to turn and put out a fair number of bowls, boxes, and finial things. I ran into screaming deals on a 14” Rikon and a bunch on of different gouges, skews, scrapers, and all sorts of accessories. Then I took a bunch of online classes and a couple in person classes in CA, but I’m still definitely in the learning phase and it’s only been two years. It seems that this hobby is actually more difficult than you guys make it look. I relocated in late ‘21 closer to home so I’m now northeast of Iowa City. I wanted to turn larger items so I picked up a laguna 18/36. I ran a subpanel to garage for 240 feed and now I’m off to the races. It seems that it’s necessary to have 10 posts to be able to sell my dear little Nova so I’ll count this as #1. Feel free to ask me things that generate more posts.

Welcome to the forum. We like pictures so show us what you have been turning. You might want to look for a club to really get your turning going and then finding some hands on classes makes a big difference.

You might also look into Craigs list or Facebook to sell the Nova

In my humble opinion by the time folks make it to the forum they're experienced or new but fairly committed to turning. Most here will want something bigger/more powerful than the 14DR. I had a very similar situation to yours and sold my 14DR on Craigslist fairly quickly. One man's opinion/experience.

Well I’m probably one of the few people who doesn’t do social media so some methods are out for me. Posted through my wife onto some local for sale groups.

I realize the 14dr is not the most powerful but went that way initially to see how this bug would bite me. Didn’t take long to realize I needed/wanted something more substantial.

Appreciate the feedback.

Gerald,
Posting a couple photos of some things I have done. I consider them all flawed in some way but I am particular. Be gentle.

The live edge was just an experiment on alignment and I had a crotch piece sitting around. Finials are projects from Drozdas classes. Walnut thick wall was also just playing around. But that’s pretty much what I do. Play.

Lawrence,
I think someone in here said something to the effect of “I’m skills poor and lathe rich”. Odie or hockenbwrry I think. I fall solidly into that category.

Attachments

• 1CE6F4F6-E062-4619-B113-0EB8F71FC16D.jpeg
    1CE6F4F6-E062-4619-B113-0EB8F71FC16D.jpeg
    446.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 1EB35BCD-7093-4A75-A933-1A65594F3CD1.jpeg
    1EB35BCD-7093-4A75-A933-1A65594F3CD1.jpeg
    570.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 16ED4A5C-6A73-4E7F-9EC1-872AABA390E6.jpeg
    16ED4A5C-6A73-4E7F-9EC1-872AABA390E6.jpeg
    488.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 30712D77-225C-4F83-83A6-46C28316C187.jpeg
    30712D77-225C-4F83-83A6-46C28316C187.jpeg
    463.3 KB · Views: 19
I’ll concede that point. But i don’t do Facebook, Instagram, twitter or god forbid tik tok. Don’t know what else might be out there as I prefer to live a life that is not put out for everyone else. If someone wants to know how I’m doing, swing by or use a phone for an actual phone call.

Appreciate the thought.

I’ll concede that point. But i don’t do Facebook, Instagram, twitter or god forbid tik tok. Don’t know what else might be out there as I prefer to live a life that is not put out for everyone else. If someone wants to know how I’m doing, swing by or use a phone for an actual phone call.

Appreciate the thought.
Simply stated, "I concur!!!"

Tom Gall

TOTW Team

Appreciate the thought.
I'm with you....I don't do any of those either. Don't even have a smart phone! Have a really old flip phone for emergencies that I don't even turn on except to check the battery level. :)
Welcome to the forum, Jeff.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Welcome to the forum. There is a big difference here from " social media." Here we helped each other, and we have civilized rules. The best place to hang out amongst friends with the same interests as you, at least when it comes to woodturning. Aloha from Maui.

I'm with you....I don't do any of those either. Don't even have a smart phone! Have a really old flip phone for emergencies that I don't even turn on except to check the battery level. :)
Welcome to the forum, Jeff.
Tom, It’s not often I run into this but you are one person I would love to see more info on! Always enjoy the novel things you come up with; I like how your creative mind is wired!! No, I’m not a stalker!!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome to the AAW forum, Jeff. I could tell immediately from your pictures that you took a class from Cindy Drozda. She is an excellent instructor for learning good design principles as well as learning the meaning of high precision work.

Exactly what I appreciate about her work. Attention to detail and precise work. It fits my “exquisite attention to detail” issue I sometimes run into. Wife calls it OCD but I don’t know what that means. I’m just particular.

I take just about every class she offers. I like to think I’ve learned a bit. Yet I still have a long way to go.

Back