• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jerry George

Thanks for letting me join this group. I've been working with wood off and on for many years, mostly flat work. Started turning about a year ago, pens and small stuff. I live in a small country town and the closest woodworking store is a couple of hours away and so are any clubs. So mostly learning on my own and watching YouTube. Again, thanks for letting me join your group.
Jerry

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you.

I live in the middle of cattle ranches and the closest club is an hour away.
Worth the drive.

Lots of stuff on You tube good and bad.
I suggest you visit
http://aawvideosource.org/php/video_detail_view.php

These videos have been vetted by AAW volunteers for safe and effective practices.
You can have confidence in these videos. If you have found a really good video recommend it.

If you get a chance at instruction or visiting a club - take it.
A video can’t reposition your shoulder or turn you tool tip.
But do keep turning regardless.

The classes accelerate the skill development.
In many cases a week long class can replace a couple years of trial and error.

Hockenbery is so right. I’ve taken the Jimmy Clewes course two,years in a row and both times learned so many things. I have found that you can’t learn things til your ready to learn, if that makes sense. When I took first class I learned so many things but did not pick up on the next level things because I did not even notice them . But once I mastered a few basics the next class I saw so many more techniques that made sense then as I had mastered the basics. And a video can not answer your questions or correct your movements.

Nobody can teach touch or feel. It only comes with practice. But a teacher can see what your doing and help and point you in the right direction.

Back