• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jet 1221vs

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Not sure of your question.
Maybe this - the lowest speed varies by pulleys used and whether there is work mounted.
The belt positions have low and high speed. with no work mounted the lower speeds are higher.
Page 12 in the manual - you can down load it.

131458FC-36BD-4B28-9380-C315394CB68E.jpeg

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
I did read the above, but mis-interpret there would be any roration at all, the spindle would stop.
Dont understand that feature.
The spindle doesn’t stop with the speed dial. The off switch does that.
The electronics to stop the lathe with speed control are too expensive for the price point of the 1221vs

My ONEWAY 2436 is programmed for the low speed around 3 rpm or something like that.
This feature is to let you know it is running.

Just to mess further with your head, Peter, the speed knob on the 3520B model doesn't take the speed all the way down to stop, either. Powermatic decided it was better to keep some juice flowing and not have the VFD go to 0 hertz, or the motor to <50 rpm.

Hmm, I never heard of any lathe that would not stop when the variable speed was turned all the way towards the off position. My Vickmark 240 vs knob turns the opposite direction that my other lathes do. Until now, all lathes seemed to go to almost 0 before they would turn off, and some would turn off at 50 rpm, and some were considerably higher than that.

robo hippy

I thought the VFD was set to maintain a minimum speed of 50-60 rpm. My 3520A always stops, but I thought that was due to the older programming where it would allow it to go to zero rpm. My bad.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
The powermatic 3520b setup for the vfd has a min speed (on the low range pully) of around 50 rpm. When the knob goes below that setting, it stops the motor. I didn't like that - found it really difficult to find the spot where the motor ran at minimum (for sanding, mainly). So I added a resistor in my control panel so my knob now does not stop the motor, but will go down to that minimum 50 rpm. If I want it to stop, I push the big red stop button. Might not be the best option for everyone, but works for me.

The inverters can be programmed to have speeds below 50, but I don't know how. PM was concerned about the motor overheating. The motor on my AB, which Brent helped me program to go slower. He cautioned me to make sure the motor didn't overheat. It actually ran cooler when sanding. Best guess is that it actually works like a brake rather than a drive. I do make my lathes work hard when I turn. Well, except for finish cuts, and bowl turning is maybe 90% roughing cuts, and 10% finish cuts....

robo hippy

I do not use the stop button and have not for 17 years on my Powermatic 3520B. My potentiometer is going bad and now every now and then I have to clean it because mine will, at times, barely rotate turned all the way down.

I do not use the stop button 99% of the time and I've not had any issues with heating.
RE: Jet, I had an 1014 with VS box on left side, and it stopped too.

Updating this thread, I checked with Jet, and their current lineup of 1221, 1640 do not stop with the speed turned down. The CS person I communicated with did not know why this change. I personally do not care for it, so my question is how do I revise this?

Back