• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jet Mini bearings

Hey all-

Has anyone ever needed to replace the headstock bearings in a Jet Mini Lathe? I'm getting a lot of chatter when taking final passes on the inside of bowls. I've had the lathe almost 4 years, I've never had this much vibration.

Sure it's the bearings, right? You've got play that can't be taken up or rumble? Not unheard of to get "chatter" on the final passes of thin turnings from pressing too hard, working a different timber, or even using a different gouge presentation.

I think I've seen hints on this site, but if not, search other forums and you will certainly get your information on bearing changes even if it's not fresh.

I had a spate of chatter recently that I quickly isolated to a loose jaw in the chuck. Tightened the attachment bolts and problem solved.

Mike,
One of the guys in my club has put in two sets in his jet. He has got them from Jet. He says next set will be a higher quality bearings.

Hey all-

Has anyone ever needed to replace the headstock bearings in a Jet Mini Lathe? I'm getting a lot of chatter when taking final passes on the inside of bowls. I've had the lathe almost 4 years, I've never had this much vibration.

Check the end-play of the spindle. The Jet mini,has been known for the hand wheel loosening causing chatter. Bearings should be your last resort.

Website
www.FWCWT.org
I had to replace mine after about three years of use. I estimate I got between 1,000 and 1,500 hours from them. Whether that is acceptable performance for a bearing or not is open for debate and not the point.

But I did get excellent service from Jet when I needed new ones. They were prompt and courteous and very helpful.

The bearings are very easy to install.
1) Loosen the set screw and remove the handwheel from the headstock assembly.
2) Raise the motor and slip the belt off the pulleys
3) Loosen the two set screws from the pulleys and slide the spindle out (towards the tailstock)
4) remove the bearings (I punched them out with a wooden dowel)
5) clean the cavity where the bearings set
6) replace the bearings (be careful to make sure they are flat and true - and they are two different diameters, so watch that as well).

reverse the steps to put the spindle and pulleys back in. Make sure the upper and lower pulleys are straight and parallel before tightening.

good luck.

I bought a used Rikon mini about 2 years ago. It had horrible spindle shaft wobble.

I contacted Rikon and the CS was excellent. They sent me a new spindle shaft, a set of bearings, and a spare belt no charge.

I replaced the bearings and the shaft and found that there was still a bit of play in the bearing seats on the headstock casting. I shimmed it with a flat feeler gauge about .002" if I remember. Once I got the shim in place I gave it a dab of thin CA to hold it onto the bearing and casting surfaces.

Been about a year and 1/2 and it runs great.

---Nailer---

I had a few thousands too much clearance between my headstock and the bearings, which caused side play and chatter.Jet sent me new bearings and headstock.

It's fairly easy to replace all of that, but it's a bit tricky to get the hand wheel the correct tightness. If your headstock still has endplay it's too loose, if it gets hot while running, it's too tight.

Before you buy bearings from JET (they are way too expensive) try a local bearing supplier. The number on the bearing is all you need. You can also buy them online from several sources, including ENCO and Grainger. Just ask for the best bearing configuration for the size. Then when you put them in, make sure the race areas are extremely clean and well lubricated. Most damage to bearings come from the installer beating the heck out of them to get them in.
I have changed bearings in just under 15 minutes for members of our club who were overcome by the idea of making this change. Good luck.

Back