• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jim Bradley

My first association of woodworkers. I have worked with wood for over forty years. I built store fixtures, residential cabinets and did some remodeling . I bought an incomplete display Craftsman lathe twenty years ago to turn some parts and found myself inadequate. I knew Willard Baxter and wisely had him expertly make what the job needed.
A friend has been trying to sell me a stationary tool for several years which turned out to be a lathe. I have been learning on a borrowed Delta Midi and have collected lots of salvaged downed tree sections for blanks. The wood sections are coated with sealant waiting for the time when I can get to them. Now for the stationary tool story.
Another friend asked us into his home to see some turnings he had purchased over the years. Beautiful bowls which my wife appreciated saying " Jim if you could someday make bowls like that...". The stationary tool I now have is a John Nichols lathe with a bed length of somewhere near six feet. It was fun to move. Coincidentally , this lathe was built for the turner who made the beautiful bowls my wife admired. Life puts opportunities in our path and my turning journey slowly begins toward using this massive tool.

Back