• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jim Ruckman

I have become addicted to woodturning, and I am very happy to have found this forum.
I have only been turning about a year, and was lucky enough to obtain a 36" Delta after beginning with a Harbor F inexpensive one that we bought for my son to use to make chess pieces
He lost interest, and I became addicted

Getting better, but still having some tool marks, esp across the grain
Hoping to get a small booth in a local venue to sell my growing inventory
I don't want to undercut anyone, but I really don't know what I should price I can sell my stuff

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Welcome.

Sounds like you realize you're in need of practice - I'd highly recommend looking for a turner's club local to you.. Perhaps you can hook up with a mentor to learn from, which could likely help shorten the learning curve...

As far as pricing, if you are the only one selling turned work, you can pretty much set your pricing to whatever you like - but I'd probably err on the side of being overpriced... Easy enough to slash prices later, but hard to raise them by much after folks have gotten used to what you were selling at before.. As well, "Too Much" and "Too Cheap" reactions are likely to happen at any venue - what sells well at one venue where folks think nothing of dropping $75 - $100 on a nice functional bowl, may be seen as "Way overpriced" at the same price at a different venue the next town over...

On the other hand, if you first take your time to visit the actual venues and see other vendors you may find other woodturners to network with, and get an idea of pricing on your own items (Pretty much every piece is gonna be unique so it is difficult to compare 2 items to one another, but you don't want to be blatantly undercutting. Plus, you'd be able to chat with other vendors and see if it is even a venue you actually want to spend a booth fee and try to sell at (learned that the hard way - just because they call it a craft show or art festival, does not mean your stuff is gonna appeal to the crowds - two of those "shows" I went to were just a plain waste of booth fee with sales not even covering cost of fees & transportation/setup/etc)

Thanks. I read about shows and such as a way to sell. I will have a booth in a busy "Emporium" when one opens, and I will be the only one selling turned items
Here is my latest

Attachments

• 20240223_094104.jpg
    20240223_094104.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240222_112820.jpg
    20240222_112820.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 12
More of my turnings9
Thanks. I read about shows and such as a way to sell. I will have a booth in a busy "Emporium" when one opens, and I will be the only one selling turned items
Here is my latest

Attachments

• 20240124_174819.jpg
    20240124_174819.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240116_192017.jpg
    20240116_192017.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20231228_191830.jpg
    20231228_191830.jpg
    240.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20231215_124433.jpg
    20231215_124433.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 10
Welcome.

Sounds like you realize you're in need of practice - I'd highly recommend looking for a turner's club local to you.. Perhaps you can hook up with a mentor to learn from, which could likely help shorten the learning curve...

As far as pricing, if you are the only one selling turned work, you can pretty much set your pricing to whatever you like - but I'd probably err on the side of being overpriced... Easy enough to slash prices later, but hard to raise them by much after folks have gotten used to what you were selling at before.. As well, "Too Much" and "Too Cheap" reactions are likely to happen at any venue - what sells well at one venue where folks think nothing of dropping $75 - $100 on a nice functional bowl, may be seen as "Way overpriced" at the same price at a different venue the next town over...

On the other hand, if you first take your time to visit the actual venues and see other vendors you may find other woodturners to network with, and get an idea of pricing on your own items (Pretty much every piece is gonna be unique so it is difficult to compare 2 items to one another, but you don't want to be blatantly undercutting. Plus, you'd be able to chat with other vendors and see if it is even a venue you actually want to spend a booth fee and try to sell at (learned that the hard way - just because they call it a craft show or art festival, does not mean your stuff is gonna appeal to the crowds - two of those "shows" I went to were just a plain waste of booth fee with sales not even covering cost of fees & transportation/setup/etc)
Seems like there's 2 major practices: one is to do bulk and sell low, with moderate to good quality, and the other in which you sell high dollar "nice," higher quality and charge substantially more

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Seems like there's 2 major practices: one is to do bulk and sell low, with moderate to good quality, and the other in which you sell high dollar "nice," higher quality and charge substantially more
In a nutshell, kinda yes - I'd considered trying to do production "tourist trap" bowls for a local tourist attraction gift shop - but for what he was willing to pay, it decidedly was not worth it... It does rather depend on your local economic climate (Chattanooga? - To me, that's "Big City" - around here, we're rural - Whole county population could fit into an average football stadium and still have the other half of the stadium empty.. In other words, more cows than people!) Another good reason to actually visit some of these venues you plan to sell at - to gauge the market (What sort of shoppers visit - Just because you have a low price on bulk quality items, doesn't mean they're gonna be buying your stuff, etc.)

Back