• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Jim Walters

Hi, new here, long time, part-time turner. I turned a few things on my dad's Shopsmith when I was about 15. Turned occasionally off and on, until a few years ago when my son bought an 1890's home. I found an old AMT Lathe as the bearings on the shopsmith had too much wear to do good spindle work. I turned about 45 spindles without a duplicator. I had a yearning to turn some bowls, so after getting a lot of acacia wood from a friend's tree that blew over in a storm. I sold the Shopsmith and AMT and bought a NOVA. I'm playing with the acacia and also with some mesquite that I salvaged. Looking to upgrade from a little Roybi band saw to a bigger one Just having fun and learning lots So 60 years after my first platter and plant stand, I'm still shaving pieces off of spinning wood to see what remains.

Last edited:
Back