• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Joe Cowan

Recently bought the Jet Midi. I have a full shop with all the tools (love tools), but shied away from a lathe, as several turners at a craft fair I attended a couple of years ago, told me that once I started turning, my table saw would end up being a place to stack turning tools and wood for turning. It scared me away until now. I will start off making bottle stoppers for Christmas presents and see where it takes me.

Good to meet you William,

I am yet to turn a bottle stopper, I keep telling my wife not to buy one because I will make her one but still busy making bowls and hollow forms, btw I have a midi as well.

This forum is a tremendous help. Some of the best of the best turners are regular here. Make sure to pick their minds and ask freely.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
@William Cowan welcome he woodturning and the forum.

Be careful to whom you give you Bottle stoppers.

About 1992 i gave some pens to friends the next thing I know I’m getting calls from people who offer to pay me to make them a pen.
Then I gave away some ornaments and I get calls.
Then some how my bowls got to be office wedding gifts in the big complex I worked at and I got calls and sold bowls out my trunk at lunchtime.

Welcome to the forum William. I started turning pens six years ago on my Delta Midi lathe and just last month I bought a Jet 1640 lathe and started turning bowls and platters. I'm sure you will enjoy your journey in turning as much as I have.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Welcome to the Forum. I'm kindof like Al. I started making things and it just kept on rolling. Can't tell you how many bottle stoppers I have made. Not as Many as Nick Cook by a long shot but I've turned my share. If you take up segmented turning or inside out turning your table saw will still get a lot of work. I also have a full shop and use almost every machine in my shop for part of my turning in some way or another. I do a lot of Inlay's and other glue ups for my turnings.

Back