• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Joe Jackson

Hello from the South Carolina upstate! My “day jobs” included several years as a newspaper photographer (back when that was actually a job!) and then 28 years as a high school science teacher. During the last 15 years of teaching, I also did woodworking and wedding/portrait photography as side hustles. Now retired from the full-time job, I enjoy more time to indulge in the old part-time gigs, primarily woodworking.

For most of my wood shop experience, I focused on custom furniture and cabinet-making. But purchasing a lathe several years ago set me off on a new trajectory. I started with spindle turning to complement my table builds, but I have grown to love turning just for its own sake. I still especially enjoy spindle turning.

Much of my time is consumed with joyfully tending to grandkids and other family obligations, but I am able to get in enough shop time to sell a little through seasonal art shows and other outlets.
Here are a few recent pieces. Thanks for reading and looking!

DE6E53D7-F1AF-47E6-96E0-3CFDD8DC25E7.jpegWWW4280F3F1-0327-46BA-9338-91E5F6DA9EA1.jpeg

Howdy and welcome from Texas!

Back