• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Keven Jesequel for "Big Leaf Maple" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

John DeSalvo

Hi all, I'm fairly new to turning, I did a few things a couple of years ago, but never really got into it. I have a Jet mini lathe so I can't do anything very big. If I stick with it this time I think I'll get a midi lathe so I can turn a decent sized bowl. I wanted to make some handles for some DIY carbide turning tools and I had to figure out a way to drill them using the lathe. I couldn't use my chuck because my bed was too short, so I had to use a collet.

I have a woodworking shop in my basement and have been making stuff out of wood for the past 25 years. I started out making furniture and moved on to boxes and even turned some bentwood rings. Now I am trying to teach myself how to turn segmented and open segmented turnings. I can't make myself purchase a big chunk of wood and then turn most of it into shavings, so I opt for segmented turnings. If I could source some free downed lumber I might give it a shot, but I never seem to find any.

I hope to learn a lot from this site and it's members.

The only other thing that has me hooked is cars. I have a 1955 Chevy 210 two door post and a 1963 Corvette convertible.

Attachments

• _75side-55.jpeg
    _75side-55.jpeg
    68.2 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_3852.jpeg
    DSC_3852.jpeg
    456.4 KB · Views: 19
Howdy and welcome from Texas!

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
You still have about three weeks remaining before you can post in the off-topic forum or the marketplace. The requirement is at least 10 posts and 30 days since joining the forum before your status upgrades to an Established Member.

Welcome from Lebanon Mo, about 3-1/2 hrs drive SE of you. You may want to check around your area for arborists. Most times they like to have someone take the big pieces they cant chip. Also neighbors that have to take down a tree or a storm blows them down. Once you start looking it gets easier to find trees/sections (not lumber). Just need a chainsaw to cut it up.

I started with segmenting, and purchased a few blanks. Then found an arborist a mile away from me, got a chainsaw, learned how to cut things up. That was 6-7 yrs ago, and I havent done segmenting since. You’re welcome to stop by if in the area. Start a “ conversation” to let me know. I think there are a couple of turning clubs around kc - very beneficial.

As for a new lathe - big lathes can easily turn small but not vice versa. If folks have room a min 16” swing is nice to have.

Back