• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

John Freund

New wood turner here... Got a lathe for Father's Day (the wife and kids threw down nicely!), a little Jet 1015VS. The wife and I rolled over to Rockler and picked up a few tools to get me started.

I first turned in high school, 30+ years ago. Dabbled with it here and there over the years, but never owned a lathe until now.

I work as a woodworker. Own my own company, called Five Birds Custom Woodworking. But, it's mostly square stuff... Everything from custom built-ins to custom furniture, boxes, hand carving, electric guitars, etc. Been working in and out of the trades, mostly carpentry, for 35+ years now. Mostly focusing on finer and finer work, as the economy has allowed.

Not exactly sure which direction(s) I want to go with my turning. The wife wants more wooden cabinet knobs around the house... I keep looking at boxes and bowls.

Anyway, happy Thursday, gotta head towards the shop to put some more finish on a few tables and finish up two cabinets. Hope everyone has a great day!

The main website will have local chapters. Joined several years ago and worth every penny. Turning and furniture will open up some designs for spindles, legs, etc.
Welcome!

John,

Plenty of items you can turn on that lathe and master the skill sets for future projects, exposure to a woodturning club will answer a lot of questions and provide a wealth of knowledge for a new woodturner. Make a list of projects you want to turn long term and determine the tools and materials you need for each one, this will guide you towards turning items without running into problems half way through the process. Plenty of videos out there you can watch for specific items to run through the basic procedures used for each turned item. Like any other woodworking equipment you will end up spending more money on the accessories and specialized tools for crafting the different items. With your years of woodworking experience you can most likely craft some of the accessories you will need for some of these items. Sharp woodturning tools are your best friend, a good grinder, wheels and sharpening platform will simplify the process of sharpening your tools, unless you are gifted with freehand sharpening skills which many woodworkers have.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Welcome to our group. There used to be a camera store in Nashville called John Freunds. I spent way too much money there but miss it now that it is closed.

Welcome to our group. There used to be a camera store in Nashville called John Freunds. I spent way too much money there but miss it now that it is closed.

That's kinda cool! I love hearing stories about other John Freunds!

I went to college for fine arts in DC. There was a photography store called Fuller and D'Albert's at 9:30 F St. I frequented it all the time. Years later I foudn out that my family actually used to own it, but it was the Freund Tea House. Turns out my family, when they came from Germany in the early 1800's were confectioners and bakers. They owned the Tea House and did catering.

I also have several friends on Facebook named John Freund. I don't think any of us are related... Unless it's generations and generations back.

Back