• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

John Kennedy

Hi Folks,

Retired pharmacist after retired aircraft mechanic.
Wood turning skills were about enough to learn respect for those who could produce a quality product.
Many years since I had to sell my lathe and turning tools. Had concentrated on candle holders and thick, ornate table legs.

Signed on here to learn about wood preservation treatments.

Best to all,

John

Thank you John and Gerald. I feel like a gate crasher since my focus is on repairing an outdoor deck with decaying boards. Had wandered onto this site by accident searching for home brewed wood stabilizers and found useful advice.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome aboard, John. Be careful lest you get sucked into the woodturning vortex and become like us ... hopelessly addicted to spinning wood.

We have many members who have in-depth knowledge of wood finishing and protection. I think it would be worthwhile to ask your question in the Woodturning Discussion Forum..

I have a little experience with preserving a redwood deck. The least expensive way to deal with wood that is already rotted would probably be to replace it. Products like Minwax Wood Hardener will make soft punky wood rock hard, but it is quite expensive. There were some products many years ago that I used to preserve the foundation of my deck and it is still in sound condition after more than thirty years. However, those products are no longer available because they contained some very toxic chemicals. For the floor of the deck I use redwood and protect it with TWP 100 Pro Series with redwood tint. You can get clear TWP, but it won't provide UV protection.

Thanks Bill,

Have put my question on the appropriate forum. Some boards within restoration limits, but like you said, Minwax is not cheap.

My wood turning days were somewhat restricted because I was working in an apartment complex. Lathe vibrating everything and turning the kitchen into a carpet of ankle deep wood chips. Came to a point where the wife gave me an ultimatum. Either the lathe or she was out the door. Was a difficult decision, but she won (at the time).

The love is there and without a doubt will revisit my gargoyle candle stick creations again.

Last edited:
Emiliano, I appreciate the welcome.

I wish this vast resource was available decades ago when I walked out of Costco with my shiny new mono speed under powered lathe and set of brittle off brand turning tools.

I hope over time to offer some level of meaningful contribution.

Back