• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

John Logan

Hello there. I received a gift membership for Christmas and have only now gotten around to activating it. I,m 62, grew up in the mountains of Va. in a family of old American antique lovers (grandfather was an antique dealer in Salem, VA. A close friend’s father (also my Scoutmaster & second father) was a skilled woodworker, so I got hooked on wood at an early age. I raddled in numerous woodworking pursuits (& other crafts) for decades (e.g., Windsor chairs, architectural wood carving, etc.) but my profession has demanded most of my attention. As part of heading toward retirement (couldn’t arrive soon enough), I took a couple of woodturning classes starting about 3 years ago and have gotten hooked. A professional woodworker friend tells me I’ve found my niche. I’m a newbie & have a LOT to learn. I’m spending as much time as I can turning, reading about it, and watching YouTube videos. I’ve learned a lot from mistakes and dumb moves (my best teachers) but am making fewer of those. Not enough hours in the day or days in the week. Come on retirement. (If I can figure out how to reduce the file size of some photos, I’ll post a few.)

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Hello there. I received a gift membership for Christmas and have only now gotten around to activating it. I,m 62, grew up in the mountains of Va. in a family of old American antique lovers (grandfather was an antique dealer in Salem, VA. A close friend’s father (also my Scoutmaster & second father) was a skilled woodworker, so I got hooked on wood at an early age. I raddled in numerous woodworking pursuits (& other crafts) for decades (e.g., Windsor chairs, architectural wood carving, etc.) but my profession has demanded most of my attention. As part of heading toward retirement (couldn’t arrive soon enough), I took a couple of woodturning classes starting about 3 years ago and have gotten hooked. A professional woodworker friend tells me I’ve found my niche. I’m a newbie & have a LOT to learn. I’m spending as much time as I can turning, reading about it, and watching YouTube videos. I’ve learned a lot from mistakes and dumb moves (my best teachers) but am making fewer of those. Not enough hours in the day or days in the week. Come on retirement. (If I can figure out how to reduce the file size of some photos, I’ll post a few.)
What a great gift you got! Congratulations welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum and woodturning. Ask questions as there will be someone who has experience in that area of turning.

Back