• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

John McNiff

Hi all,

I am a beginning woodturner and intermediate woodworker. I live south of Buffalo NY. I have been woodworking on and off since I was 14 in my father's shop and picked up a 10x18 harbor freight lathe a couple of years back along with their tool kit. After some very rough spindle turnings, I invested in a nova chuck and Sorby bowl gouge that largely sat untouched until a few months ago.

At this point, I have completed a few bowls and toys for my nieces and nephews. I am hooked though, I hope to spend the rest of winter ( my slow time) practicing my skills and possibly getting to the point that this summer I have something I would be willing to sell. I don't see turning as means to a livable income but would like to pay for a larger lathe and some tooling along with materials.

Things I hope to learn are resin castings, coring, and hollowing. I enjoy seeing some of the crazy work that is done on the internet with turnings but often think that results are a bit loud for what people are actually looking to use or display in their homes.

I home to join the local group when they are up and running again and learn from those who have been doing this for longer than I have been alive. I will try to attach some photos if I can dig some up but I have never been good at taking them.

Thank you! Yes I do hope to join the local chapter and hopefully get some hands on lessons. I have a close family friend who is a turner but with COVID am keeping distant. Right now it’s just videos and reading and as much time in the lathe as possible.

Thank you all. I just spoke to the president of one of the local turning clubs this week and they are doing zoom meetings so I will get set up with them.

Back