• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

John Murray

Hi all, I am a newbie turner. I have enjoyed woodworking as a hobby for well over 40 years and have always had a fascination with woodturning. I have been reading/researching/watching videos etc for well over a year on turning. I recently bought my first lathe, a used PW 3520b. Yes, I know I did not go through the right of passage to start small and work my way up, but I liked the advise I read on a lot of forums, to buy your second lathe first. I have joined a local club and have been to two of their meetings and will be contacting one of the mentors to help me get going on this new venture into woodworking. I also joined AAW this week. I feel like a sponge at the moment and I know my learning curve is pretty much vertical but I am excited to start making shavings. Thank you in advance for your wisdom and advice as I am sure I will need it.

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Welcome to the forum

You are on your way to a good start.

I have been reading/researching/watching videos etc for well over a year on turning. I recently bought my first lathe, a used PW 3520b

When many of us started there were no mini-lathes.

The danger with a powermatic is that I can throw a big piece of wood at you.
Mini lathes can only throw small pieces.
Getting hit with a small piece can send you to the ER.
Getting hit with a big piece can kill you.

joined a local club and have been to two of their meetings and will be contacting one of the mentors to help me get going
This is the way to go. With a good mentor you will be very unlikely to ever get hit directly by a piece of wood.
You will be taught how to hold the wood securely on the lathe. Where to stand out of the “line of Fire” so you won’t get hit.

I have had a few students who never had a real catch. Not need to have that experience.

Last edited:

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome aboard the AAW forum, John. Looks like you are doing everything right and in the correct sequence. :D

I wish that I had bought my third lathe first, but it didn't exist at the time so I had to do my time going through the sequence of bad lathe then good lathe and finally when the Robust American Beauty came along, great lathe. :)

Welcome to the forum and to AAW. Your local chapter will be a gold mine of information. I found that the members here and at the chapter are great to hand out information. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Remember, one good turn deserves another!

Back