• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

John OBrien

Hello Everybody. Thought I would introduce myself. My name is John O'Brien. I have been working wood for 40 years now but this is the first time I got serious about turning. I have had a lathe for many years, cause I thought I needed one (LOL) but never really used it. So in June, I took a class at Marc Adams taught by Alan Lacer. That got me started. Since then, I have read books, and watched dozens of videos and DVD's on the subject. I am getting the hang of it but have a ways to go. So far, I have made a 3 legged stool (in class), several screwdrivers and awls, a few tool handles, and a couple lidded boxes. I found these boxes a challenge and a lot of fun. My biggest obstacle right bow is getting a good finish cut on the inside of these boxes.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome aboard, John. Woodturning is definitely an addictive hobby ... a whole different world of woodworking from "flat" woodworking. There's always something new to learn about woodturning. Alan is a great teacher.

Seeing your avatar reminded me that I made an awl from a kit that I got from Alan about a week ago. The knob on mine was plain Jane not fancy like yours.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Alan is good. For new turners I recommend a negative rake scraper for the inside. Personally I use Hunter carbide tools but they do have a learning curve for inside of boxes.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Welcome! Alan is a terrific demonstrator and teacher.
So you are off to a good start.
Two AAW benifits I recommend to new turners are -
woodturning Fundamentals and
AAW local chapters.

If you have not visited a local chapter of AAW I urge you to check out
Finger lakes club and Genosee Valley club in the Rochester area which I think is close to you

Last edited:
Back